Intro and first question from Calgary, Canada

Canuck Bob

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello to a bunch of fine folks. I have been seperated from canoeing by many issues but am returning.

My building experience started with a 17' tandem Folbot rebuild. A true classic clueless rebuild. Red oak stringers big enough for shovel handles, two layers of glass and poly resin from Canadian Tire, and Tremclad Fire Engine Red. It weighed at least 70 pounds. I took my first solo semi-wilderness trip in it to see Grey Owl's cabin. It sure wasn't handy but it might be the best fishing boat I owned.

I moved on to a short stint in a wood boat shop, built myself a Bear Mountain Prospector, rebuilt and covered a WC Simpson Sears 16" and glassed another no-name WC for myself and rigged it for dedicated solo paddling.

I am interested in a building project and not yet decided on its scope except it will involve a paddle and wood. My first question is regarding Epoxy allergies. After a time I sensitized to System Three and Cold Cure. I haven't used any epoxy for years. Recently I saw an ad for Ecopoxy and was wondering if anyone has used this stuff http://ecopoxysystemscanada.com on a project, particulary for a stripper.

Is there any new non-epoxy resins for strippers? Wood finish is not a factor so clear resin is not a requirement.

Back