Index to Arctic Exploration?

Bruce Hooke

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Something like ten years ago I was at the Assembly and went to a presentation about a canoe trip in northern Canada. I remember the person talking about an book that was an index to arctic exploration (from before the days of bush planes). You could look up a river in the index and see what expeditions had explored that river and where the records from the expedition where stored. I know I wrote down the name of the book but I can find it and Google hasn't helped me track down the name. Does anyone know the book I'm talking about? Thanks!
Bruce

Damn, Bruce, I think I used to have the book you are thinking of, but I gave it up at the Norumbega club book swap. It was a history of Canadian river trips, organized chronologically and by river basin.

Any chance you are thinking about "Canoeing North into the Unknown" by Bruce W. Hodgins and Gwyneth Hoyle? ISBN 0-920474-93-4 published by Natural History Inc., Toronto, 1994-1997.

Tom McCloud

Thanks all. That looks like a good book but it's not the book I remember hearing about and looking at. The book I'm trying to track down ended with the start of the era of bush planes, so sometime around 1920. And it went back to long before 1874, covering the first white expeditions.

I may have found it:
Alan Cooke and Clive Holland's "The Exploration of Northern Canada, 500—1920: A Chronology"
Or Clive Holland's "Arctic Exploration and Development, c. 500 B.C. to 1915: An Encyclopedia"

But when it comes to actually planning a paddling trip rather than doing historical research my sense is that the book you all have suggested is likely to be more useful.

Back