If you've ever considered Birch...

Douglas Ingram

Red River Canoe & Paddle
I just did a big run of paddles for a TV production, a reality show documenting a voyageur trip from Lachine to Winnipeg, using birchbark canoes, authentic gear, etc.

I though that you might like to hear, considering that one of the traditional woods for these paddles was Birch, that I had a very positive experience with this wood. It is comparable to Cherry for weight, is strong and supple, has a fine grain texture almost as fine as cherry or maple. Most importantly, when you carve it, it stays put! At least these ones did. The blade doesn't wiggle around like a divining rod while you carve it. So if you like single piece paddles, feel comfortable in using birch.

I'll post photos when I get the film developed.

Great idea--thanks. I'm in the middle of carving a paddle out of ash, and if all goes according to plan, I'll give birch a try next.

Out here in the Selkirk Mountains Birch is the only local hardwood.Not only does it make very servicable paddles it is also fine for decks ,inners ,outers ,seats and thwarts.

Go for it you guys, keep us posted with the results. I have yet to try it on one of my own paddle models, but I'm sure that it will be fine.

Back