Identification Help

Maine Gal

I am trying to identify age/maker of a wooden canvas covered canoe I acquired with a home purchase.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. No other identifying maker info...
20 3067
Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 5.11.31 PM.jpg

It is my sad duty to report that it will take more than a serial number alone to identify your canoe. There are no Old Town or Carleton records for serial number 3067. Kennebec used this number on a 16 foot canoe so that isn't a good match since you probably have a 20 foot canoe. Pictures showing the bow deck, seats, thwarts, and stem profile would be a good place to start. There have been hundreds of canoe builders in Maine and we don't have records for most of them. Sorry,

Benson

looks like a St. Louis Canoe. The arrowhead deck is the evidence.
Maybe Wally Hauck will chime in with a build date for 3067.

HI Maine Gal,

I think you might have a Penobscot Canoe Co. canoe, also known as a "Pecaco." Dave is on the right track with St. Louis - both Pecaco and St. Louis were companies started by Alfred Wickett after he left Old Town Canoe Co., and both of these companies made canoes with decks similar to yours - decks that capture the cut-off ends of the inwales. St. Louis canoes decks are said to be arrowhead-shaped, while Pecacos are said to be spear-shaped. The difference is in the angles where the decks and inwales meet. In the St. Louis, the angle of the cutout in the deck is acute, but it is an obtuse angle in the Pecaco (yours is the latter).

Pecaco deck is shown here:

St. Louis deck is shown here:

Assuming this is indeed a Pecaco, the company only existed from 1915 until 1923 when the factory burned, so that puts some pretty firm brackets on your canoe's age. They made a Guide model in 18' and 20' lengths - yours is a guide style with its low ends, and it looks like a long one.

Last edited:
I’ve continued doing my research and now have a better idea of what these might be. Thanks for all your input so far!!
Darn dog photobombing…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 91
Your canoe was built to sail. The hole in one seat with a mast step beneath indicates that. To sail well upwind, it needs leeboards that act like a keel or centerboard. Your last picture appears to have some homemade leeboards made from paddles.

I/we don't see many of these canoes here, or many be I just don't remember them but,

am I the only one who just noticed the very interesting "80%" ribs in this canoe? Both narrow and run well up the sides.

Back