Huron Restoration Complete

Gary

Canoe Grampa
Hi I thought I'd share a few photos of a restoration I completed today for a friend who wanted something lighter than his 18' OTCA which I restored for him years ago.

This is a typical Huron build from the 60's, 15' 6" long, heart shaped arrowhead decks, wide planks with large gaps between, rail caps, and babiche seats. I repaired the lacing in the stern seat, did a few rib ends, replaced some planking, then added new ash decks, outwales, rail caps, thwarts including contoured center one, new keel ( I always replace if they had one), re-canvased, water based filler and painted. First time painting with Epiphanes and I was very pleased, great coverage, and no drips/runs.

As Mike Elliot describes these canoes in his book they are the VW of their day, well built but no extras or real finery. They do paddle well and anything wood looks nice in the water.
Gary

Attachments

• DSCN2714.JPG
    DSCN2714.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 401
  • DSCN2718.JPG
    DSCN2718.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 397
  • DSCN2721.JPG
    DSCN2721.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 362
Looks Nice! Was the Epifanes enamel or their monourethane? Did you use their essay flow additive or just brushing liquid?
Thnaks
Tom

Hi Tom, sorry for the late reply, this was the Epifane enamel, and no I did not use their additive, but simply thinned it for the last 2 coats by adding 5% turpentine. May not have been necessary as this paint flows very well but I was taught to do this so was simply doing what I've always done. The painting for me is my least favorite job of the whole restoration process. Should be the favorite but the implications of screwing things up at this stage are far greater and more noticeable!
Gary

Hi Gary, Thanks for sharing your paint type and tips for thinning, it is the kind of finish I hope to achieve. So far have sanded off almost as much as I put on, but learning along the way.
Regards
Tom

Hi Tom, I use the paint for colour only and fill before I get to this stage. Not my tips but what I've learned from Pam who is the best I know at getting that immaculate finish. I use a product called Zinser 123 as my base primer and this sands up much better if you add a bit of ordinary spackle to it. This usually takes care of filling the weave so that when I get to my last 3 coats of paint I'm painting a smoother surface with less aggressive sanding. I think someone posted Pam's notes recently on her filling/painting process? I'm not trying to take credit for this just what I've learned along the way.
Gary

Thanks Gary for your helpful suggestions . I was able to find Pam's notes that you mentioned and they were the best guide to painting and varnishing ever!
Tom

Back