How warm should it be before I paint?

BCam

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'd assumed that I would need to wait until spring but our daytime highs have been in the 60s (Elk Grove, CA). It's been dropping into the high 30s/low 40s at night and I'd be painting outside on a covered patio. I'll be using Interlux Pre-Kote Primer with Interlux Brightside Polyurethane as a top coat. Both cans say that the application temperatures should be 50 degrees F and above but since we're only above 50 from about 10a to 7p, I'm concerned about proper drying. Relative humidity varies from about 50% to 90%.

Since I probably wouldn't use it until spring anyway, should I just wait until we're consistently in the high 60s to 70s and night-time temperatures aren't so low? I'll be painting a new bottom and want to get the best finish I can.

I think the humidity is a bigger factor than temp. I run a dehumidifier in my shop in summer to try to keep it under 50 inorder for Pettit or Epifanes to be dry in the morning.

Funny you should mention that. My wonderful wife actually said I could bring it inside to paint. My problem is that painting is one thing, wet sanding is another and taking in in and out by myself (my wife isn't physically capable of helping) would be a hassle.

We are presently painting & varnishing in the livingroom. I had to wait 'til after the holidays, small price. This is the 4th canoe Peg has allowed in the house for paint.............nope, she's taken.

I am presently using Interlux Pre-Kote primer on a canoe, outdoors, in Maryland, where the weather is much like your California weather, it seems. It was close to 60 yesterday when I painted, down to 45 at night, and low humidity. What I can tell you for sure is that 24 hrs is not a long enough drying time to allow for sanding. The primer is still somewhat gummy. But whether longer drying between coats has any effect on the final paint job, I won't know for awhile. Tom McCloud

Bcam, Have you ever thought of inclosing your porch with clear plastic as a temp. enclosure. And maybe using a portable heater to keep the temp and humidity in
control? Just saying!
......Dave

It's one of the options I considered but I'm not sure it's worth the effort and electricity. Things warm up pretty early in the spring around here so I think I'll just wait for a while. I've always found slowly drying paint to be frustrating.

Thanks for all the input.

In regard to slow drying, I've found the one ounce of japan dryer per quart ensures dry paint in the morning 99% of the time

Back