How to move a form?

Brian J Knudsen

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I would like to buy a 14' form for a wood canvas canoe from a gentleman who lives a few hours away. I could use some advice from anyone who has ever moved a canoe form. I know that they are heavy, but I don't know how heavy they are in general. This one is 14'. I suspect it is the form for a Wilowisp canoe by Jerry Stelmok. The trailers that Uhaul have for rent max out at 12'. Could you have a foot or two hang over the tail or would that be dangerous? I imagine dollies would be used to roll it onto the bed of the trailer. I'm just not clear how I could do this and how much help I would need.

Thank you for any advice,
Brian

I have moved my form quite a few times and it's been moved by others as well. First and foremost, they are heavy. You need at least three or for people. Yours is only 14 feet so that should make it easier than moving my 16 foot form.
Mine has been stuffed into the back of a 1963 Ford Falcon, carried in and out of a basement, carried on the roof of my VW Rabbit, hauled to Maine in a pickup, stored in a carriage house loft and most recently, hauled a few hundred miles on my boat trailer. If you trailer it, adjust the bunks so that they give good support.
The key is to make sure that it does not get jarred or dropped. As long as you are relatively gentle with it, it's not that hard to move. I have mine on rollers so that I can move it around in the garage.
After you move it, check it for fair before you build on it.

The story and pictures related to moving a 34 foot form at the link below may amuse you. Your move should be much easier.

Benson

I have two and have moved them alone. It is hard, heavy and leaves marks. I can only lift one end at a time and not very well. You will not lift it off the ground with two men. Now that I've had my health event I no longer try to stack one on the other. Use rollers of some kind Put it diagonal on the trailer. flag it. Be careful.

Reactions: MGC
Yes, me too. Sadly, no pictures...
Pre-cell phone days... We'd probably be in jail if anyone had a camera..

Back