Hoefgen HCA81603E101

DanC

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Howdy, I’m looking into information on this Hoefgen canoe I’ve been using. Essentially, it still belongs to my girlfriend’s mother, was a gift given her by her late husband when they started dating. Its named “Going Steady”. She insists she wants us to use it but with all the sentimental attachments I feel awful when anything happens to it. Ive always taken extreme care, avoided bony rivers or low water when planning routes and kept it inside when not in use. Alas, she took a pretty good hit this weekend and want to repair ASAP.

Looking for info on construction material, dims, specs etc. anything that would be helpful in reasearching repair techniques, tools and materials. Until this boat, Ive only rented canoes so just starting to acquire knowledge, tools and materials for canoe care.

Thanks!

The value in your Hoefgen will be the sentiment. It's a fiberglass canoe. The builders seem to have discontinued production.
To get advice on maintaining and repairing your boat, you should consider posting some images of the issues.
Otherwise, as a glass boat, repairs should be pretty standard for that type of hull.

Thanks. I realized the W in WHCA is Wood after I posted. In my haste I thought it was World…thanks for the response, Ill start poking around the fiberglass world.

Believe it or not, many of us have accumulated many years of experience with other build materials including fiberglass. We can get you there if you need help.
In addition to maintaining a rental fleet of glass canoes, I also built/molded a few kayaks back in the day and I am probably not even close to the most experienced of the regulars on this forum.... many built strippers, but as noted, images are going to start the dialogue.

This is all I have at the moment. Im curious what product can be used to fill in the gash and seal it.

IMG_2247.jpeg

Are you referring to the spot where the gelcoat is gouged out?
That's a simple layup of some resin. Lat it in it's side to keep it in place before it sets. You can color match if you want to hide the exposed cloth.
Sand the edges to make sure your repair adheres.

Correct. I am new, so to be clear.

Gelcoat = the exterior finished surface (in my case red)

Are gelcoat and resin the same thing? Or resin used to patch small holes in gelcoat?

The age of the canoe probably affects the process and materials that were used. Depending upon the age, either epoxy or polyester resins were used. I am going to assume that poly was used in yours.
The builder would have polished his/her form, sprayed a release coat followed by a pigmented layer of gel coat and then the cloth. The cloth was then saturated and worked to fill the form and remove bubbles. Once set up, it was popped out and then assembled. Defects in the gel coat would have been repaired by filling them with pigmented resin.
This filling is what it looks like you need to do. Take your pick, polyester or epoxy, color it (if you want to) and then carefully apply it over the damage. Perfection is hard to accomplish, but properly done repairs should not stand out.
That said, for the age of your boat, a few usage marks add character. The only damage I ever really fret over in glass are long cracks. These can be very hard to repair nicely.

Back