Hitchcock Paddles

Hey Splinter,
I have never added anything to the parafin-beeswax mix to soften it, but it might be a good idea. The problem with softening it too much is is may stay soft after application and be gooey.

My apologies. I know better. Will try to keep it reigned in to initial thread topic a little more diligently in future.

And now, back to our previously enjoyed thread re: Mr. Peter Hitchcock's exquisite paddles.
I just returned from my Board of Directors Meeting in Traverse City, MI and waiting for me was a gorgeous Peter Hitchcock paddle on my doorstep! Seems the old gent found one he made to order for a 94 years old woman back in 2001 and he sent it to me to see if it would be suitable and if I don't like it, send it back. So there it is just 3/4" shorter than I'd usually use, SO WHAT ! ! ! I'm keeping the wonderful thing, of course! The blade is perhaps just over 1/8" thick, smooth as silk with all that hand finishing and rubbing. Weighs just 1 pound & 1 ounce and reminds you of a feather. Perfectly balanced on the tip of my finger. I WILL use it, how can I not?! but, WOW! I must make a paddle bag for this, of course.

I have recently heard from the talented Mr. Hitchcock. Without saying as much, he nearly indicated he's thinking of making more paddles this year (perhaps if I know there is interest). Please let me know if you'd like a Hitchcock paddle and I will let him know there is interest so he can decide what he wants to do next. Thank you.

Splinter,

Let me be the first to respond. As a paddle maker I would love to own one of those magnificent Hitchcock paddles. Working figured maple that thin requires a remarkable amount of skill. Please put me on your list.

Hey Splinter,
I wòuld be interested in one as well. I would love be to use something that beautiful!!,

Andy, since you were first to respond, I will let you know that Peter C. Hitchcock has advised that he will make ONE paddle this year for who ever I connect him with.
It will cost $500.00 plus shipping which will probably be another $70 or so. If you are interested, please respond back to me as he is eager to start and needs to know what length you will want. He needs to rough in the shape and size now in preparation and will only do that if you are committed. You can try to text me as well. 571-926-5522. If you are not in the market for this at this time, the next to respond is up. So Yohawk will be the next person to have a chance at this but again, the price will be $500 plus shipping. Standing by!

OK Giiwedin, you're up!
Andy is going to take one the builder made for himself almost two decade ago and Yohawk dropped out so even though you have 3 you can get another since no one else has got in line for one as of yet.
please text me at 571-926-5522 if you still want to spend $500.00 plus shipping for one. If not, please let me know as I might put myself back in line for it. Thanks, Splinter

Back