History ?

Scott Barkdoll

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Dear good folks,

Please look these up for me.
Old town Otca 123817 16
Old Town HW sponson 140815 18

And if you could, A courting canoe # 942 16 Could this be a Kenebec?
Also I have a Detroit Canoe here I have not yet stripped enough to see if it has any #s. Does any member know much about these?

Thanks Scott

Last edited:
Detroit Boat Co.

Scott,
We have a Detroit -Hudson River - 16 foot. Have yet to start working on it except to remove the canvas. Needs lots of TLC. They only had a few models. If you want to send me your snail mail address in private messages I'll photo copy a cataloge that Gil Cramer sent me. There is also information on Dan Millers Dragonfly website - Dragonflycanoe.com .There still is lots of information to be learned about this company. Do you have the medallion ? If you do, the model should be on that. Can you post any photos of yours?
Best, Denis

Scott: The build record for the Old Town canoe with serial number 123817 is for a 16 foot CS grade OTCA with spruce gunnels, birch decks, a keel and floor rack. The hull was started on 12/14/37 and shipped on 5/23/38 to H.W. Johnson in Antrim, N.H. The color was dark green. A reference is made on the order that it had a full length bang plate. In addition, this canoe apparently was returned at some point for paint blisters per a letter from S. Fisher on 7/12/??.

The build record for the Old Town canoe with serial number 140815 is an 18 foot AA grade HW with ash gunnels, decks and thwarts with a keel and sponsons. The hull was started on 9/8/44 and shipped on 1/29/45 to The Central Hardware Purchasing Dept. in Ironton, Ohio. The color was dark green.

As far as 942-16 is concerned, the number precedes the start of the OT records. As far as checking Carlton records the first record I have for Carlton starts at #2235. The two scans of the OT build records can be found by following the links at the attached thumbnail image below.

These scans and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.html to join or renew.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions. - Al

Attachments

• 123817.GIF
    123817.GIF
    37 KB · Views: 267
  • 140815.GIF
    140815.GIF
    36.2 KB · Views: 252
I afraid that the existing builder's records will not be able to help identify your "courting canoe # 942 16" very much. The Kennebec records show two boats with this serial number but no 16 foot long canoes. My guess is that it is probably from a Charles River builder. Bring it to the Assembly next summer and you will probably get lots of opinions.

Benson

Back