Help with my new canoe

Fireman9

Hello from Texas! New to the forum but have always been obsessed with wooden canoes! I have been looking off and on for several years but have only seen a couple and they were out of my price range. I came across one the other day and I couldn't pass. I paid $600 and may or may not have been taken. Doesn't matter because I love it. I would like to restore it and I am trying to find out something about it. It has no canvas and no decals or serial numbers that I have found. Can anyone tell from these pics what kind it may be. It is 15'6" with a 33" beam on the outside. Love looking at this forum and I think I have been bitten!!!!
Steve

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Welcome to the WCHA forum but I don't see any easily identifiable characteristics in the pictures that you have attached so far. It may have come from a small or home builder that may never be confirmed. The list at http://wcha.org/legacypages/maine-list.htm shows the number of builders in Maine alone so there are many unidentified floating objects around. Good luck with the restoration and keep us posted,

Benson

Thank you Benson for your input. That is kind of what I figured. I was hoping a tiny bit that it would have been a know manufacturer but really it doesn't matter. I plan on restoring as best i can then taking one little paddle in it and then hanging it from the ceiling of our new log home that we are building. You can see our house at www.ourcottonwoodcreek.com if your interested. The value in this canoe for me is how much i like it and restoring it. My late father in law had a cabin, or as they would say in the adirondacks, a camp in lake placid N.Y. it is right on the lake near whiteface golf club. We used to go up every year and I developed a love for wooden boats and canoes. There sure are some beautiful ones up there!! I have a feeling this wont be the last wooden canoe I get my hands on. I love reading this forum and cant wait to come across one again armed with a little more info on manufactures, etc. Looking forward to learning from the forum on how to proceed with my restoration, but first I must finish our home. Off we go to work on it now. Thank you.
Steve

Bingo! You got it, southern yellow pine. Mostly loblolly to be exact. And yes we hand peeled everyone one of them. Thank you for the kind words.
Steve

Back