Help with Canvassing?

Cajun

Hobbyist Craftsman
Hi Guys,

I bought an old cedar plank canoe and have restored it.
I have the canoe ready for canvassing hanging comfortably in its canvas hammock.
I have placed my 40KG Anvil in the canoe to weight it down but have not braced it to the ceiling
(it's hanging from the ceiling but I did not put 2x4s to push down from the ceiling)

I took my canvas pliers and pulled the canvas to put the first staple and instead of stretching the canvas, the canoe moved over instead.

Am I supposed to put a couple of staples on the opposite side before trying to stretch the canvas? or do i just not have enough weight in the canoe?

Denis

Never having canvassed that way up, I can't really comment, but I in order to stretch your canvas, you will need something to pull against. If the boat is just hanging there, the whole lot will move around as you pull on the canvas, so if you use ceiling braces to hold the boat still that should make things easier.
If the boat moved in the canvas, then I think you probably haven't got your canvas stretched hard enough along the length.
As I said, I've never canvassed that way up so you may be better waiting for an expert to arrive

Sam

Thanks Sam! I will try putting more weight tonight. Hopefully someone chimes in to either confirm or suggest.

Denis - I did mine upside down, but here's how I started. I put about 8 to 10 inches of staples on one side, then did the same on the opposite side, stretching the canvas. Then (and this is what I wanted to mention to you) I took a soft lead pencil and drew a line on the canvas along where the keel would mount. After that, I went from side to side in those 8 to 10 inch increments and always checked that pencil line to be sure it stayed reasonably straight. I didn't want to inadvertantly pull the canvas more to one side than the other. I know you'd have a hard time drawing that line with the canoe right side up, but anyway, I hope you'll understand what I'm getting at. Good luck!! Al D

Denis,
You don't mention it but you should also be pulling the canvas along it's length in addition to trying to pull it across it's width. The 40 pound weight is also not enough. You might want to consider using some means to provide more pressure from above by either adding more weight or by using a two by four and a small jack to push down into the canoe. Distribute the load under the jack with 2x6 by 36 or so placed over the ribs.
Dan's suggestion will help you creep up on proper tension once you have the canvas stretched. If it tears, it's too tight....

Back