Help identifying Canoe

midgi

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Is it possible to identify a wood and canvas , 16', only by the serial number ?
On the Stem post #1434 2831
thank

Hi Midgi,

Yes, it is most likely a canoe built by Peterborough Canoe Co. The model number 1434 identify it as their high-end Champlain model built sometime between 1939 and 1961.

Cheers
Dick Persson
Headwater Wooden Boat Shop

Thank's for your information Dick

Dick Persson said:
Hi Midgi,

Yes, it is most likely a canoe built by Peterborough Canoe Co. The model number 1434 identify it as their high-end Champlain model built sometime between 1939 and 1961.

Cheers
Dick Persson

Hi Dick
Just by the shape I suspect it was a Peterborough. What I am wandering now is the meaning of the second number ?
# 2831
Is it possible that it concern the color, the delivery ?
Thanks again

Michel Vadeboncoeur
St-Ours, Québec, Canada

Hi Michel,

The first set of digits (1434) represents the model number and the second set of digits
(2831) is simply just the work order number or serial. Unfortunately, when Peterborough Canoe Co closed its doors in 1961 the records were lost or destroyed.

Dick Persson

Hi Dick

Know I understand the system.
It is the first time I do the renovation of a canoe bearing a serial number. I bought this canoe from a frend who told me : "That is an indian canoe because I bought it from an indian Abénaquis from Pierreville (near Sorel).
At the first sight I know that it was a "company canoe" !
Last yean I finished the restauration of a 18' freighter with the back in "Y". A big one with great capacity and the désign to jumb white water. I have honda 15 hp. on it and 200 ponds of sand in the frontto keep the nose down !
Once a week I take a day to visit the chanels of Saurel and Lac St-Pierre (103 islands !)
I woul like to found the builder of this canoe but I have no serial number and I can only find it by the shape !
Thanks again
Maybe you know my friend Gaetan Pilon. He is a professional builder and restaurer of sail boat, canoe etc.. and he often visit boat show in Ontario. ?

Back