Hello from BC

Dog_River

Hello everyone,

My first post but have been lurking on this and several other similar forums. I have been searching for a set of complete plans to build a Wood and Canvas 20'-22' Freighter canoe this winter. I have found a design plan with the stations and lines but no building plan. Can anyone provide the building details of a traditional freighter canoe as used in the Canadian North. Canot builds them but doubt they would sell me their building plan.

Also, I am working in Sask, Canada for two year and would like to source out the materials now so I can start to build this winter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dog_River

I can send you an article on what I did to build (3 over time) 23 ft freighters based on lines from Adney and Chapelle (a book called 'skin and bark boasts of north america'). Sourcing long lengths of clear stock is probably your biggest challenge. I had to custom order my last bunch from Sunbury cedar (I had to buy the logs, and got delivery 5 months later of rough sawn yellow cedar 22-24ft, clear) but I don't know if they still do that. Where you intend to use it may alter some of the design parameters. I changed some things with my 2nd and 3rd build to suit the ocean exploring, and loading factors.
peter

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the reply. You must me in BC ? I would very much appreciate you sending me information that you used. Do you still have the boats ? if so maybe you could send me some photos ? I will more than likely have some questions along the way so maybe I could send them your way if you don't mind. As for cedar, I may be able to source some locally where I live and have some inquiries out already. Did you use Ash for the ribs and gunnels ?

I will send you a PM with my email address.

Again, Thank you. Dog_River

Back