Gunwale Maintenance

bing12345

Hi there,

I have a 40s or 50s Chesnut Prospector that I had restored a few years ago by Fletcher Canoes in Atikokan (would have liked to have done it myself, but since I was 24 when it was given to me I didn't have the skill to do it - and, more importantly, I didn't have room in my one room apartment). I've been storing the canoe at a friend's place (under cover) and paddling it weekly. Unfortunately, the gunwales are getting a little bit scratched from his canoe racks (which are basically 2 x 4s). I've padded the racks now - but some damage has already been done. :(

This boat is my baby and I'd like to get it back into shape - can I just varnish the gunwales or is there some technique to do it?

Thanks

Bing

If the wales are dented from the 2X4 racks, you can sand a bit to remove the varnish around the dents, place a damp cloth over the dented area and hold an iron on it to generate steam. That might help restore the dented area. If there are scratches, some sanding should minimize the damage.

Sand the entire gunwale (and the decks while you are at it) with 180-220 to roughen the existing varnish, put on 3-4 coats of marine varnish (not poly) and you should be good to go.

You are doing the best thing for your canoe - using it and giving it appropriate maintenance! As one of the frequent posters on this forum says "Quit gawking at it and get it wet! It ain't a piano.":rolleyes:

Back