Greetings From Smoky Mountains!

Peter M

Hey y'all,

I'm new to the forms, but over the past year i have found a huge love and passion for canoeing. I spent 3 months in Maine doing week long canoe expeditions this past fall. And I am obsessed with canoe poling. I also use traditional tools and carve all my own paddles. Draw knife, spoke shave, axe, and crooked knife. I just purchased a 1970s old town Carleton Fiberglass and am hoping to get the build papers too. And my goals in the near future are making a birch bark canoe, I have read the survival of birch bark canoe which lead me to reading Tappan Adney way to much. Anyways i'm excited to be here!

Keep your tinder dry,
Peter M

Welcome to the WCHA.

For further reading, you might want to look at David Gidmark's Birchbark Canoe: Living Among the Algonquin

And for further inspiration, you might want to look at the website of birchbark builder Steve Cayard < www.stevecayard.com/ > and that of Henri Vaillancourt < www.birchbarkcanoe.net/ >

WoodenBoat Magazine has run numerous articles on the techniques of birchbark building -- a search in their online index shows dozens of articles < https://www.woodenboat.com/search-back-issues-woodenboat-magazine >

And when you start your project, please post pictures -- we love pictures here.

Greg Nolan

Thank you guys! @Greg Nolan david gidmarks book is in my library, just a little far behind on my queue. And I will defiantly share once I start my build.

Back