great "barn find"

Roger Young

display sample collector
Found a fabulous Walter Walker 'Pioneer' model 13' cedar strip, signed, built in 1974, but hasn't seen water for 20+ years. Photos are right from barn. It cleaned up real well, and went for a short paddle yesterday. Will post a few more photos when I get them downloaded from my phone.

Attachments

• DSC_0032.jpg
    DSC_0032.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 331
  • DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 327
NICE! I didn't know he made a 13'er. I have 2 16'ers of his. Gonna have to add one of those to the collection.

Yup, Mark, Walter had a 13' form in his basement from which he made shorter canoes, as well as the longer ones which got built in his shed. That 13' form is now in the Canadian Canoe Museum collection. Not just certain what I am going to do with this one. I had plans to hang on to it for personal use but, who knows?; perhaps it will find a new and appreciative owner ..... The first owners had a friend who was close to Walter; when this friend found out they wanted a canoe to use on their farm pond, he introduced them, and they ordered one of Walter's "smaller ones". This couple are now close to 80 and both have health issues which prevented much use. It had not been in the water for over 20 years, yet they kept it carefully stored in their barn anyway. They were fully aware of its 'collector value'; I just happened along at the right time.

Here are a few "after the bath" photos to show just how nicely this little gem cleaned up:

Attachments

• walker1.jpg
    walker1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 306
  • walker2.jpg
    walker2.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 291
  • walker3.jpg
    walker3.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 292
  • walker4.jpg
    walker4.jpg