Grand Laker Construction - Pop Moore

rangerkevin

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Thanks for posting! I have a question. IN the second link, and I think photo number 5 or so, am I seeing button head screws? I'm not sure what i'm looking at. Can you fill me in?
Thanks.

I don't know. They do seem pretty interesting though. I'm not involved at all in the construction of this (3 states away). I posted these as general interest in the construction of one of my favorite canoes.

I was teaching at WoodenBoat the same week that Bill was offering a "How to build a Rangely Lakes Boat" class. When building that boat, he used some relatively small (in both size and length) sheet metal screws to hold parts in place temporarily during the build - the black things may be screws.

They built that boat over an existing hull - bending the ribs right on the old boat and tacking planking through the ribs with the screws holding it from springing apart totally. Once the boat was planked, they removed it from the old hull and proceeded to clench all the tacks by hand with a bucking iron. The screws were removed once the tacks were clenched. Perhaps he's using a similar method with the Grand Laker?

Thanks Kevin,

Bill sounds like a great guy, next time you see him let him know he has a twin in MN. :)

Hi Dave, sounds like you are keeping busy.
The lakes up North are now starting to thaw and might be open by opening fishing.
But they'll be cold. I'm still looking and may have a good prospect, we'll see next week.
And I talked myself into getting another pile of old wood, not that I need any more projects, but it's hard to resist. :)
I may pass it on to another guy though.

Dan

Not too busy

Dan, Got two boats to do for other guys before I can do my own.
I'm taking time off to go paddling in Quetico with Dave O. and Ferdy, and Dale Remmers. I need to do some finishing touches to a Dean and then a PY Scout for my brother, and then maybe the IG.

rangerkevin-canoez, this is very interesting to me as I had never heard of this technique before. It's pretty creative. This seems like a good story for the Journal. A family of Grarnd Laker builders.

For a REALLY nifty take on the uprights when stretching the canvas, pay close attention to slide 21 of 28!

Yeah, and pay attention to the one where he's stretching canvas around the bow. (Photo 27 of 28 in the 4th day...)

I've never seen anyone stretch canvas quite the way he did at the bow. Normally, you just pull it off normal after you've stretched to the gunwales. With Bill's method, while the canoe was still stretched axially, he took a small roll of canvas and stapled it to the side of the bow as a temporary clamp. Then, the axial tension was removed and the canvas released from the "clothespins" at the bow and stern. This way, when he pulled the stem canvas off to the side, he didn't have to pull any wrinkles "around the corner" - it was still taut along the side of the bow and he didn't have to pull hard at all. Was a slick trick.

You've got to remember that you don't find too many Texans in that part of Maine. Pop's daughter musta been a helluva draw...

Last edited:
Back