Glen-l Marine Rob Roy

dm1333

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm new to this forum and looking for any information on the performance of this design. If any one has any info, links, paddling forums or any ideas of where I can get an idea of the performance of this canoe I would appreciate it. I want a canoe that will handle a little rough water, has enough room for two paddlers or for me and a week or so worth of gear, and is fairly easy to car top. Kayaks are out for me because a back injury makes the seating position pretty uncomfortable after several hours. Thanks.

Don

two cents

Though not strictly stitch-n-glue, I've constructed two plywood lapstrake canoes of Tom Hill's design. See the Book (and video) Ultralight Boatbuilding. These boats are strong, lightweight, elegant, and a joy to paddle. I happened to build solo paddle 11.5 ft long boats, where seating is as in a kayak - on the floor, use a double bladed paddle. Plans are available for a larger boat.

I've stared at the Chesapeake Light Craft canoe kits long and hard. These are stitch-n-glue and seem very simple to build. My stepson built one of their kayaks (in a class) with little to no woodworking experience. I haven't proceeded to build this canoe because I'm restoring an Old Town cedar/canvas. I also don't think they're as handsome as Tom Hill's design - fewer, broader strakes and deck not flush with the rails (though this could be accomplished with a little extra work). I am quite sure they are easier than Tom's boats, given that they are in kit form and you don't have to build a form first.

I haven't found a collection of CLC canoe builders to get their direct experiences, but I don't doubt the boats are relatively simple to build, lightweight and sturdy.

Keep us posted as to your findings.

Indeed - search "Sassafras" for a year's worth of posts and you'll get some info. I had been there before, but never got back many hits on my search (probably for "canoe"). As one would expect, there's alot of kayak traffic there.

$.02 Worth

Don,

Do you want to use a single or double paddle? Do you want a solo boat or a tandem? The Glen-L design would not be a lot of fun with 2 adults in it...2 kids probably OK just puttering around in quietwater. You and gear spread out probably OK depending on what you want to carry. I would research a little further if you want to build one, there are a lot of plans out there. Have you considered a restoration of a wood/canvas canoe? Maybe save a bit of history and end up with the canoe that will do everything you want it to...just a thought. Research the builders listing here along with the classifieds.

Good luck!

Ric

Ric,
For the most part I want to paddle solo, with a double paddle. I like the looks of some of the smaller canoes from CLC, Stillwater, etc. but I don't want to limit myself to JUST solo paddling. My real goal is to be able to get out on the water and paddle for fun and fitness. I am an active duty Coast Guard Chief so access to the water is not a problem. I own a Cobra Strike and my unit also has a canoe and a kayak(sot) but both of them are barges in any kind of wind or sea. I just started paddling our canoe a few weeks ago and it was a revelation, no lower back pain and still a good work out. My problem just might be the seating position of a sit on top kayak.

Don

Don,

Have you tried a standard kayak? The CLC "Chessy 17" in particular is a fine craft with lots of storage and high volume. I cannot speak to your back, but this kayak as well as other manufacturers have molded foam or gel seats, back bands and knee braces along with foot rests. ..you wear the boat. The SOT's don't fit as well.

Anyway, good luck on your search and try everything you can until you find what fits you.

Ric

Ric,
I'm going to look up an aquaintance and see if I can borrow a kayak of hers or her husbands. The last sea kayak that I sat in was 10 years ago, pre injury, and I don't remember anything about how comfortable it was. Thanks.

Don

Don,
Back to your original question.
I admit I have never even seen one of these babies in the flesh but the pictures tell it all.
The upswept shearline and those sky-high stems. Not good. Out in the open the wind will catch those things and make you go where you don't want to go. If you notice, most modern canoes have only modest sweep to the shearline if they have any.
The rocker seems excessive. Same deal as above. The boat will turn easily. Especially when the wind catches it. Whoop-dee-do rocker is OK for whitewater boats but, an all-around canoe doesn't need much. The rocker on Rob Roy has the stems out of the water. That's wasting waterline length. Longer waterlines give more potential speed, which isn't important to most paddlers, but, it also gives more glide per stroke which everybody appreciates.
The Glen-L presentation leaves much to be desired. A simple line rendering would answer way more questions than those off-angle photos.
I paddle a double paddle pirogue called Cheap Canoe. It is not very elegant. but it was designed by a naval architect and he seems to have gotten the concept right. It's a cheap to build boat that has good manners. Enough rocker to dodge bolders on a rapid without yawing to much on a straight line paddle. With a 12½ foot waterline it's a bit slow and requires a lot of work if I try to paddle too far without a break.
Cartop-ability can't be generalized. It depends a lot on how high up your car roof is and how much weight you can muscle over your head. A canoe that would fill your bill would be at least 15' and and at least 55 lb., so plan accordingly.

Charlie

Last edited:
No. Mine is called Cheap Canoe. It was designed by a naval architect named Jacques Mertens. His pirogue is a bit more modern in construction. It has no internal framing and doesn't need any.
Here's my version of CC. It's about 1½" deeper and about 6" longer than the plans call for.
http://209.190.4.227/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=333

Plans for the 13' 5" version are a free download complete with a 10 page building tutorial.
http://www.boatplans-online.com/freeplans.php

There is also a 15' 10" version. Plans are $10.
http://www.boatplans-online.com/proddetail.php?prod=NC16

Charlie

Thanks Charlie

I actually have those plans printed out already. The line drawings do not do the canoe any justice, I really like the way it looks in your pictures. Where was that on Lake Superior? I am in the Coast Guard and am trying to get myself transferred to the lakes next year.

Don

That paddle pushed off fom Cornucopia WI which is on the opposite side of the Bayfield Peninsula from Chequamegon Bay. The trip took place in mid Sept. Four months later the temperature had gone to -30 so many times, for so long, there was ice out to Eagle Island. Most of the locals had frozen water and septic systems. But it's a wonderful place in the summer.

I decided today not to compete for an Officer in Charge billet, and try to get onto a Bay class cutter on the lakes. I need the cutter and sea time for advancement to Senior Chief and I always wanted to try the ice breaking thing. The only station in Wisconsin that I could have taken was in Two Rivers, and there were a couple in Michigan that I really wanted. If I do end up on the lakes I will need a canoe or kayak for fitness paddling and fishing. Most of my paddling here is on a surf kayak in the surf but that would definately be more limited out there. Thanks again for your response and the pictures of you boat, they really made up my mind for me because I had been considering the cheap canoe as something to play around with and to give building a canoe a shot.

Don

Back