future project

samb

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Having made or worked with stitch and glue, modern strippers, cedar/canvas and wide board I have decided that a long term project should be a traditional strip built.
This will probably take years and probably not even start for some time – but everyone is allowed to dream so it’s time to start thinking.

Ideally I want to build a small boat. I am limited for space so need to be mindful that 14’ is the largest I can practically deal with, (but at times that would mean moving from side to side under the boat) but I have read on the dragonfly canoe pages that #86 was a 12’x30”x12”. So, apart from not being able to get hold of one of these to measure it, what disadvantages (from the making point of view) would there be to making a 12’ boat?
I could borrow a 14’x30x12 Peterborough boat to measure. As the width and depth are the same, would I be able to shorten the distance by measuring stations at 14” and reducing them to 12”spacing and then fair up all the lines?

There are many more questions and thoughts I will need to resolve but building a mould is the first thing I need to get my head round. Most of my projects spend years going round and round in my head before any visible progress is made. I have read all I can find here on the forum, and watched the Walter Walker film on you tube many times. Are there any other sources of information that you know of?

Could I have your thoughts and opinions please?

Thanks.
Sam

Hi Sam
People often shrink moulds to make shorter boats I'm doing that myself with the 14ft (non traditional epoxy covered) stripper I'm making but in my case I made her an inch wider to compensate for the stability lost by reducing the length.Everything has been a bit tighter to bend in the shorter distance especially around the bilge so next time I think I will make up some narrower strips for that area.I didn't utilize any water or steam to bend my planking though...

20170406_145019.jpg

Cheers
Alick

Last edited:
Back