From crap to……

chris pearson

Michigan Canoe Nut
So, I’ve been posting this project, and sorry if it redundant. This canoe means so much to me. Sent in 1922 to a store that I actually visited as a kid. Then it went to a local boat builder in Rochester to receive new mahogany decks and outwales. Then onto a livery fleet on Honeoye Creek south of Rochester. It was beat. She is on her way to a new life…….

Attachments

• IMG_8482.jpeg
    IMG_8482.jpeg
    387.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_8483.jpeg
    IMG_8483.jpeg
    414.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8497.jpeg
    IMG_8497.jpeg
    564.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_8503.jpeg
    IMG_8503.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8506.jpeg
    IMG_8506.jpeg
    477.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8511.jpeg
    IMG_8511.jpeg
    432.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8512.jpeg
    IMG_8512.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8561.jpeg
    IMG_8561.jpeg
    352.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_8617.jpeg
    IMG_8617.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_8621.jpeg
    IMG_8621.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 101
By all means show us, Chris. And since you did, I'm going to once again show what I don't know and ask a question I've had for a few days: are the bold boards/framework on the end, shown in picture 8617, gonna stay? Or is that temporary to form the top piece or planking or whatever goes there ("deck?") and will be taken off later? Seems kinda robust for being the end of a canoe, but maybe not. I've never seen the inside of one like this. I'm curious to see how you finish that area.

Is there a name for this type of deck? (Maybe it's not called a deck; help me out here.) Was it an option, or did this come on certain models? What benefit does it have other than hiding more sandwiches from the sandwich police?

Although the deck framework looks beefy, I made it mostly out of very light woods, cedar and butternut. It will be covered in 1/4” mahogany for the long decks, then new combing. This option was offered by old town but also by many companies especially around the Charles River area….Courting canoes….

Wow, your progress is great! I'm especially impressed by how clean and refreshed the interior looks after stripping. What material are your new inwales? The grain looks like Ash to me. I have a very tired old St. Lawrence Boatworks canoe in my queue... though a long way off... and your results are encouraging!

Just thought of a question... I notice what looks like a 'standard' deck under the long deck framing. Was this typical in the sense that Old Town took a standard deck canoe then turned it into a long deck option afterwards, or is the 'inner' deck still required for stability in joining the inwales regardless of the long deck framing? Keep up the pictures on this one. Very enlightening.

The canoe was modified at the Long Boat Company and sent to a livery. It was a CS grade canoe leaving OT. They tossed the original decks and outwales and made long decks. There was enough left for me to replicate the Long Boat Company mods.

Dave,
Some, not all long deck canoes have a typical short deck under the long deck and is part of the support.

Attachments

• IMG_1921.jpeg
    IMG_1921.jpeg
    356.2 KB · Views: 36
The Hugo Anderson long deck canoe that I restored last year, and which was the subject of the article I wrote for the Winter 2024, Vol. 47, No. 1 issue of Wooden canoe, did not have a typical short deck under the long deck. It had a triangular breasthook of sorts and a beefy framework made of oak or ash to support the thin mahogany deck plates. During restoration I added an another cross piece to add additional support because one of the deck plates had split lengthwise likely because someone had hiked up and sat on it causing the split. Attached are two pics, one showing the original framework and another of a postcard showing a guy (white shirt and white hat in right of picture center) sitting on the deck of a long deck canoe. Chris, I'm looking forward to seeing additional updates. Looks great.

Attachments

• IMG_5387a.JPG
    IMG_5387a.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 39
  • s-l1600.webp
    s-l1600.webp
    124.3 KB · Views: 38
Back