Freeman Canoe Builders: 1890's

LeeF

Hello ... I'm trying to find info on 2rd great grandfather & his brother (Mahlon C Freeman and Dorval J - respectively) that were both canoe / boat builders in late 1800's. Both worked for Rushton then went on to start their own boat works.

Late 1880's Dorval started Watertown (NY) Boat and Canoe Co. Mahlon worked with him.

Early 1890's Dorval started Fulton Pleasure Boat Company (Fulton,NY).

1894/5 Mahlon acquired the company and renamed it M.C. Freeman Boat Company. (A canoe is in the Adirondack Experience Museum)

1894 Dorval moves to Waltham MA and worked at CP. Nutting

1897 Dorval moves to Lawrence, MA and starts Merrimac River Boat and Canoe Company.

If anyone has any info on these companies and their canoes it'd be a great help in filling in the history pages. Thanks

Thanks! I was aware of the M.C Freeman Boat Company catalogs, but the FBC catalog never made it on my radar. I really appreciate the heads up.

I haven't studied boats very much but can offer some more details from my canoe research in various business directories available on the internet.

J. H. Rushton was first listed as a canoe builder in the 1877 edition of the Sportsman's Gazetteer and General Guide. His organization was last listed in the 1925 edition of Hendricks' Commercial Register of the United States.

The Watertown Boat & Canoe Co. was first listed as a canoe builder in the January, 1889 edition of Sail and Paddle. It was last listed in the 1891 edition of Seeger and Guernsey's Cyclopaedia.

Charles P. Nutting was first listed as a canoe builder in the 1902 edition of the New England Business Directory and Gazetteer and was last listed in the 1908 edition.

The Merrimack River Boat & Canoe was first listed as a canoe builder in the 1906 edition of the New England Business Directory and Gazetteer and was last listed in the 1922 edition.

Good luck with the rest of your research,

Benson

The Watertown Boat & Canoe Co. was first listed as a canoe builder in the January, 1889 edition of Sail and Paddle. It was last listed in the 1891 edition of Seeger and Guernsey's Cyclopaedia.

Watertown Boat and Canoe Co. advertised in Forest and Stream as early as 1887. There is an 1888 Watertown catalog at the ADKX - I have a photocopy, but it does not appear to be in their online catalog.

Thanks for the great tips. Once I get a more complete history / story of the companies I'll post the info.

I also found a copy of the 1888 Watertown Boat and Canoe Catalog at the Mariners’ Museum and Park in Newport News, VA. Interesting little side note: In the 1888 catalog (page 14) there's a picture of a man carrying a canoe along a stream. Its the same "clipart" used in the Fulton Pleasure Boat Company catalog (page 18), and I'm pretty sure I've seen the same image in Ruston advertisements. Seems like there was a little "file" sharing going on back then.

Attachments

• Watertown catalog - canoe pic.jpg
    Watertown catalog - canoe pic.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Fulton Pleasure Boat - canoe pic.jpg
    Fulton Pleasure Boat - canoe pic.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 30
Back