End Caps?

Dave Nagel

This Year's Obsession
I was looking through the Old Town Catalog trying to figure out what all I need to restore the canoe I got, a H.W. There is a part called "End Cap" listed. I can not figure out what they are. Can anyone explain it to me and or send along a picture? I have searched the threads and only found a couple references but none explaining what they are.

The Old Town part number 01.1331.2161 known as "END CAPS - BRASS" would probably not have been originally installed on your HW model. I believe that this is a later addition to protect the tip of the deck and rail ends as shown at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/covers/large-85.gif on plastic canoes with wooden rails and decks. Their traditional wood and canvas canoes like the HW had a metal bang plate or stem band (a.k.a. part number 01.1315.0981 or "STEMBAND- BRASS") as shown at http://forums.wcha.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=814&d=1128306709 that extended over the tips and on to the decks for this purpose. Feel free to reply here if this doesn't answer your question.