Dugout canoe at the Brick Store Museum in Kennebunk, Maine

Benson Gray

Canoe History Enthusiast
Staff member
My ongoing search for old canoes led me to Brick Store Museum in Kennebunk, Maine today. Their site at the link below describes this is as "a 700-year-old dugout canoe buried in the intertidal mudflats Cape Porpoise, Maine" and "the oldest dugout canoe found in the far Northeast which includes Maine and the Canadian Maritimes." They feel that part of a paddle was also found with the canoe as shown in the pictures below. I would have a hard time distinguishing these from any other pieces of old wood but I'm not an archeologist.

Benson

IMG_5172.jpg

IMG_5171.jpg

IMG_5170.jpg

Last edited:
These were found in England recently. A canoe was found in 1979 on a different excavation I believe they found 9 in total being described as “ Bronze Age Runabouts“ Dating between 1300 & 700 BC
Link is below
Dugouts

D743D6A6-566A-4C45-824A-0F3965C3393F.jpeg
3D29660F-DB60-4182-9878-E21F315D68F4.jpeg

This is great. The human time line in Europe is much longer along with more places where the soil conditions can preserve wooden artifacts. The oldest known canoe was found in the Netherlands as described in the link below. Thanks,

Benson

Last edited:
I was intrigued in reading the article as the Must Farm canoes were deliberately scuppered having had their transoms removed so that they filled up and stayed down.

had their transoms removed

Yes, I haven't seen that before. Dugouts are frequently found loaded with rocks to keep them on the bottom but a removable transom is very unusual. I wonder if this might have also made unloading easier.

Benson

Last edited:
Benson. I found this video where a team built some dugouts to plans of some found in Wales. They too put a transom board in. I suspect that dugouts were sunk to keep them wet and prevent splitting. A canoe with a removable transom would be far easier to lift out than one without. Food for thought.

Nick

Back