Dog claws in W/C canoes

Ed Moses

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I know many of you are dog owners and enjoy taking them in the canoe with you (hello Kathy Klos) but often have to leave them on shore if you are using a finely varnished, newly restored canoe. My French brittany goes everywhere with me and I thoroughly enjoy taking her on pleasure paddles, fishing trips and especially when we go grouse and woodcock hunting accessing remote/unhunted covers via canoe. I have come across a good solution to the potential problems of claws scratching soft wood & varnish. I secured two yoga/pilates mats which are spongy rubber, 24" W X 72" L. Two mats will cover the entire floor nicely on 17 foot canoes and provide excellent protection to the wood and finish. The mats are light weight and roll up into very small diameter rolls , a desirable feature if portages are involved.

I would be interested in hearing about others' solutions to this issue.

Ed

I take my Aussie out with me fairly often. I have a couple cotton rag mats that I put in the bottom to protect both the canoe and the dog. I don't know why the dog needs protection...but she seems more comfortable with the mats. She doesn't move around very much so no need for a rubberized mat.

My Border Collie, on the other hand, doesn't get to go in my 15' solo canoe, only the big stable Greenwood 16' Prospector (Maine guide style). She loves to swim and will bail without notice...along with the contents of the smaller canoe. It's been interesting a few times...:eek:

Dog claws and sand damage

I don't currently have a dog but my standard practice in my precious finely finished canoe interiors is to lay down rubber runners available at home supply stores. They are easily cut to shape and roll up neatly. I use them at all times with or without passengers. They also stop some sand from dropping through planking cracks.

R.C.

I use an old Therm-a-Rest air mattress. More to keep the dog warm and comfortable then to protect the wood. Canoes are made to be used and who doesn't like a canoe with some character.
I do worry, especially in the fall and spring about the cold water beneath the dog and this helps insulate your good friend. And the precious finish is protected.

howard

After darting from side to side for a few minutes my Duck Toller just jumps out of the canoe and swims beside it (sigh)

Sorry that the thread is hijacked, but he started it (grin). To try feebly to stick to the topic, I will inform you that the dogs jump out of this boat too.

I was kinda trying to keep the Monaco project quiet here. (Don't want the canoe people to hate me)

But - since you asked - here's a link to some pictures of the recently completed project:

http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff7/brucemdow/Monaco%20Launched/?albumview=grid

Here's a two minute video from launch day (turn down your volume if you are at work or allergic to the sound of a motor):

http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff7/brucemdow/Monaco%20Launched/?action=view&current=MonacoLaunched2.flv

The full build photo-blog is here:

http://www.chelseacoachworks.com/boats/projects/dow/index.html

Wow! Awesome Bruce! If I were into motor boats, I'd surely go for one of those. Have you posted over on the Wooden boat forum? http://woodenboat.com/

Now back to the original question, gotta keep on topic...myAussie would hate that, too much noise, but the Border Collie is a speed freak...She'd love it! Wind flapping her ears around, drool all down the side of the boat, chasing down the ducks...that's a dogs life!

Those leather seats would be just the ticket to keep the claw marks off that beautifully varnished wood...Ok, now we have to start another thread on how to keep the claw marks out of leather. :confused:

I have two duck tollers. Here is what happened the one time I took them in the motor boat.... one curled up at my feet . The other unexpectedly got up and went for a walk around the deck -- on a full plane!! he went and stood right at the tip of the bow... like a 35 lb. hood ornament... ears flapping in the wind. sheesh. Too stressful.... I'll stick to having him swim along beside my canoe.

Back