Does this sound about right?

brishen870

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
So I recently was working on a small leak on my 17 foot aluminum canoe. The leak seemed to be coming from one of the stem areas so I decided I would try JB Weld water weld. I went to Lowes after the web said my local store had 26 tubes. I bought one of the 26 tubes for around $6 took it home and applied it to the leak. A few days later I turned it over and put some water in and the leak was mostly stopped but seems to be coming from the keel now. So back to Lowes I went to discover all the rest of the 25 tubes of JB Weld had been sold! On my way home I stopped by West Marine. When I went it I had a hard time finding anyone. Finally I found a pimple faced lad sleeping in a camp chair. He was the only person in the store. I explained what I was looking for and he suggested a combination of fiberglass and epoxy over the keel. This solution sounds ridiculous to me so I saved my money and moved on to a auto parts store where I founds the JB Weld. I guess my question is about the fiberglass and epoxy. It works for wood as well as 'plastic' boats but has anyone used it on anything else? Thanks

I agree with you, glass and resin on aluminum is not going to work well. The West System G/Flex epoxy is advertized to adhere to metal, but surface prep is required to get a good job, and you may not be able to do that with a leak. When I was paddling a Grumman and there were minor leaks from keel & rib rivets, I would rough up the surface and repaint with a two part epoxy paint. That stopped leaks for a couple years. Tom McCloud

GLUVIT . It's a two part thin flexible epoxy that will flat out stop leaks in almost anything.

G Flex must of been what he was referring to. I watched a video where it was applied but the problem area on the aluminum canoe was exposed and prep still looked like a decent amount of time and energy. In the seams would be impossible I suspect. Its not like the glass could be wrapped right over ridges and in abnormal shapes. At least I doubt it. That Gluvit looks interesting. The slow dry time would allow it to work in really well. Still the issue with not really being able to prep very well. At least not behind the stem or keel. I guess if the exposed area is well cleaned and roughed up it would bond well in that area at least. The JB Weld is all on and dry. Paint has been applied so I will see how it holds up. I guess sanding it and adding Gluvit and then paint would work. Maybe I will test it tomorrow on the real water now that it has passed the hold 5 gallons test.

It wont stick to flaking paint and dirt though right? I got the paint off the outside but wonder what's in that keel.

Back