Does anyone use a paint stripping gun to scorch the nap?

alick burt

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Hello Folks
I finished fitting my canvas today and have read about scorching the nap. I know some don't bother and I don't have a propane torch but I do have a paint stripping gun. Will this serve the same purpose or shall I not bother?
I would like to try and get the very best finish I can and will be using Zinsser Watertite as my filler coat.
Many Thanks
Alick

I don't think a paint stripper gun will help. It works well with an actual flame of a torch.

The need for torching your canvas may depend on your canvas source, and how fuzzy it is. I found no difference with mine, so have not done so in a long time. One less open flame in the canoe shop can be a good thing.

Didn't I read somewhere that torching the canvas that was pretreated with a mildewcide removes the mildewcide properties and wasn't recommended any more?

Years ago I singed one half of a canvas. After singing, the entire canoe was filled and allowed to dry. Once painting was started, I could not tell which half had been singed with a torch.

Thank you for all your replies
I think I will be skipping the scorching process.I don't want to burn the workshop down and like Dan said I don't think my canvas is very fuzzy so I think it will be ok.:)

Back