Do you have this discontinued paint color?

Dave Osborn

LIFE MEMBER
Hey all!!
I’m restoring a vintage Rhinelander Guide Boat. I painted the floor with some paint that I’ve had around for a while. It turns out that I’m going to be short on this paint and it is no longer available. It is Interlux Brightsides Mist Gray. If anyone has even a half a quart that I could purchase, I’d be grateful!

Attachments

• IMG_3544.jpeg
    IMG_3544.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 21
Kirby's will probably match it for you.
There is a lot of trial and error involved in a color match and from my own experience, even with a sample, no guarantee that it will be close. There is also a minimum order associated with a Kirby custom color match order. I currently have whole extra quart of a paint that I'm not super thrilled with sitting in my shop to eventually use on???

I'd be more inclined either bite the bullet for a similar interlux color or slide over to Epifanes paint. They have a great variety of greys in the standard pallet.

There is a lot of trial and error involved in a color match and from my own experience, even with a sample, no guarantee that it will be close. There is also a minimum order associated with a Kirby custom color match order. I currently have whole extra quart of a paint that I'm not super thrilled with sitting in my shop to eventually use on???

I'd be more inclined either bite the bullet for a similar interlux color or slide over to Epifanes paint. They have a great variety of greys in the standard pallet.
Last time I did it, Kirby's mixed a quart for me and the match was very close. But that was a while ago. Perhaps before the "minimum order" was established.

Last time I did it, Kirby's mixed a quart for me and the match was very close. But that was a while ago. Perhaps before the "minimum order" was established.
As noted, based upon my own experience. I am sure others have had better success. I was trying to match something very specific, an original Rushton color. After several tries, I gave up. The "color match" was never truly close. I would not discourage someone else from giving it a try.

I have tried eBay and other retailers. Intelux actually discontinued the color a few years ago. They have since discontinued the whole Brightsides line in December 2023. Their replacement is called Toplac Plus. They also discontinued their Perfection line of paints.
Brightsides was pretty much my go to paint. Loved the Sea Green color as well as Fire Red.
Back to the boat…. I have some paint left and need just one more coat. It will be close as far as having enough. There are a couple areas under the deck and under the rear seat that are probably ok as is so I can bypass them. I’ll add some Penetrol and try to stretch it.

Back