Designs With Minimal Twist

Actually, there is usually no center hole. The football is stripped first and shaped at its edges before the side strips are applied, starting along the football's edges and working toward the sheer line. That is, assuming you calculate the proper widths of the football ahead of time by measuring toward the keel from a test-placed side strip. If not, then you can strip the sides first and then fill in the football, but it isn't very efficient and requires far more tedious beveling.

This is what a typical football looks like - and if it offends anyone, they're usually just fish.

06.jpg

Many of the Minnesota builders, that I was acquainted with, subscribed to a Herring bone pattern, to fill in the football. They edge glued their strips, no bead and cove.
This worked great, as it took the stress off the strips in the football, and they could use short strips. There was a staggered joint in the middle of the football, that ran from side to side. This would work with Walnut, but would still be a lot of fitting.

My first canoe used a different Herring bone pattern. More of a staggered joint that ran down the middle, from bow to stern.
Wish I had pics to show.

Jim

Last edited:
Can't say that I've ever seen this, but I've been away from strippers for quite a while.
(Much rather play with W/C.)

Dan

There was a staggered joint in the middle of the football, that ran from side to side.

Back