Dating a Chestnut Bobs canoe

davelanthier

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
Restoring a 15' Chestnut Bobs' with heart shaped decks and a 4 digit serial number. The Chestnut factory decal layout and colors also suggest it may be circa 1921. When did Chestnut quit using heart shaped decks, 4 digit serial numbers and this style decal? Can anyone help?

Attachments

• IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Hi Roger, thanks for the reply.
I am aware of the thread you noted. I felt that Dick's 1921 decal example was the closest to mine with gold lettering followed by the offset black lettering on a brown back ground but ??? It has the standard 1/4" x 2 3/8" tapered ribs excepting the usual forward planking cant ribs. Still also very curious as to when and where Chestnut used the heart shaped decks and 4 digit serial numbers.

Last edited:
Hi Dave:

FWIW: I have an older Bobs Special. It has a nicely sculptured heart shaped decks and one set of wide forward cant ribs. It has nice maple trim, slotted screws, spruce outwales. The story said it came from a fishing camp in Canada. Word of mouth dated it about 1930. It does not have a serial number. I did not save the decal, if it had one. I will see if I have a picture of the decks before I restored it to see if it had remnants, but I doubt it. I tend to save decal remnants if they are present.

Back