Coast to coast or east coast to Buffalo/Ontario?

Rustybits

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Wanting to purchase a canoe and all the best ones seem to in the east and I live in the west. Problem! I can stage boat storage near Guelph Ontario, so if anyone is travelling from CT or other Eastern seaboard locations to near Buffalo or Dundas Ontario, I can concentrate my search for the right boat for me to purchase to your potential route. Also looking for private transport for one or more vintage canoes all the way west to Washington State or even better, Vancouver BC or Vancouver Island. I have contacted KAS but feel that helping someone with their gas costs will be cheaper than going with commercial transport. Thanks!

Rusty, I have a location in the Finger Lakes and in Niagara County you may be able to stage canoes in transit. I am on the eastern seaboard so your timeline matters as far as logistics. If you have one now you are moving I can help with staging; if it is later this summer I will go toward CT enroute to NY and then western NY. Let me know if I can help.

Hi Todd, thanks very much for your reply.
Either Finger Lakes or Niagra County (even better) would be very good staging areas.
Can you give me a rough idea which route you might be taking to those areas, roughly when you expect to travel there in the short term and roughly an amount that seems reasonable to you for your help in transport?
I have submitted a “wanted” ad to the classifieds which I expect will be posted shortly on this site, and hope it yields a few options in addition to some enquiries I have made already. Only then will I know where the pick up might be. If your near future trip doesn’t work out, maybe a later one this year. Your offer is most appreciated.
Lyle

I plan to head to NY this July to attend the 2023 WCHA Assembly at Paul Smiths College. I would likely drive up from coastal Virginia along the eastern shore of VA and continue north along the Hudson Valley. I will head to the Finger Lakes after the Assembly for a few days and could drive over to western NY after. I can currently carry two canoes but I am looking for a trailer so I can carry an additional 4-6.

Lyle, any reasonable deviations from my planned route etc dont worry about, if I am going in a general direction and spend a little time or some miles to help someone out, no worries. If you see something you are interested in let me know so I can plan accordingly.

Hi Todd, thanks very much for your reply.
Either Finger Lakes or Niagra County (even better) would be very good staging areas.
Can you give me a rough idea which route you might be taking to those areas, roughly when you expect to travel there in the short term and roughly an amount that seems reasonable to you for your help in transport?
I have submitted a “wanted” ad to the classifieds which I expect will be posted shortly on this site, and hope it yields a few options in addition to some enquiries I have made already. Only then will I know where the pick up might be. If your near future trip doesn’t work out, maybe a later one this year. Your offer is most appreciated.

Hi Todd,
That certainly opens up a lot more options.
Thank you very much, I will keep you posted on how things are going.

I live less than an hour from Buffalo and equally close to the Finger Lakes. If you get serious about a canoe and need someone to look it over I would be willing to do that. Buying long distance and sight unseen seems like a real challenge considering how little most sellers actually understand about condition and valuation.
You should PM me here if that is helpful. I may also be able to offer some temporary storage while you sort transportation out.
As an aside, there are several of us here in Western NY who have some decent and sometimes rare boats stashed away that we occasionally decide part with. If you let us know what you are looking for, we might be able to help you.

That is a really great offer, thank you. The support and help that has been offered since I have joined (even before that, actually, thanks, Joe) has been amazing.
I will try and figure out how to PM you now.

Nope! Can’t figure out how to PM. I am looking for an icon that looks like an envelope or something?

Lyle, FYI I am still scheduled to head north along the Eastern Shore of VA, up through Delaware and parts of PA, and then up the Hudson Valley to head to the Adirondacks for the Assembly. I am still looking for a trailer to carry 4-6 canoes but at a minimum I may bring one up north for folks to look over so should be able to grab one on the way for you you. After the Assembly I will be going to the Finger Lakes area and then if need be to Niagara County before heading south.

Just keeping you informed as I saw your advertisements. Good luck in your search!

Thanks very much, Todd, I appreciate it.
I am currently waiting for information on a number of canoes prior to making my next decision. As such, I don't know where a boat will need a ride from but I do know that a ride to Finger Lakes or Niagara County would probably be very helpful. I hope to know what's what in a week or so.

Lyle, how goes the search? Looking to tighten up my plans for this summer, no pressure! If I go north I will easily head to Lewiston/Youngstown NY, I have friends who can stash the canoe until further transport. Hope you found a canoe to resurrect and enjoy!

Hi Todd,
Good to hear from you, thanks.
Current canoe plans are just being finalized now, with a "few" purchases made.
I have found an Henri Vaillancourt birch bark locally, as well as a Peterborough/Lakefield style canoe in need of some love and is undergoing cosmetic and structural surgery in my shop currently.
I have also purchased a 1917 OTCA which sits in Ontario waiting transportation west later this week, as well as a1939 17' OTCA with lots of spare parts from Indiana and a beautiful 17' 1947 Shell Lake Deluxe from Michigan, both of which have transport sorted to come to Ontario in the next few weeks and wait for my pick up and transport west later.
I also have an option on a lovely Richardson to consider later.
A few people have kindly sent me photos of their canoes for sale as a result of the advert I put in the WCHA classifieds, but not as many as one might think. I thank you, folks for responding.
So I think I am good for now, unless something comes along that I just can't pass up. My collection has quickly grown from a paltry 3 (very nice) canoes in January to........? Probably best coast for a bit.
Having said that, if a ride from Ontario west suddenly came up for the two boats that will be in Ontario soon, that would give me the opportunity to consider an additional boat or two to bring home next year, when we drive back to your part of the world to visit the newly renovated Peterborough Canoe Museum, and perhaps do a little paddling.
Thanks again, Todd, for your very kind offer. Will drop you a line if something else comes up.
Lyle

Back