Chestnut Serial No. research

Fritz Koenig

get out and put in
I am wondering if it would make sense to mine the canoeography for memebers for Chestnut canoes and compile a list of serial numbers and models and maybe contact these memebrs to see if they have the history of the canoe substantiated or not, to look for patterns and clues in an effort to better understand the Chestnut serial numbering?

This sounds like a great project and please let us know what you find so it can be published in the Wooden Canoe Journal and elsewhere. Similar projects have been undertaken for other builders but I don't know of anyone who has done this for Chestnut yet. However, I don't own a Chestnut so probably can't help you much with the details. Roger MacGregor http://www.ivyleashirtco.com/contact.html might be a good place to start your research. Good luck,

Benson

It is my understanding that:

1 - The numbers found on Chestnuts canoes are not serial numbers, they are work order numbers.
2 - When their work order pad ran out they would they would start a new one which had the same numbers in it. If this is correct then it is quite possible to find more than one Chestnut of any model with the same work order numbers.

I'm game for what it is worth, regardless of what may have happened with their system. Isn't there anyone still alive from the Chestnut company that could perhaps fill in the blanks a bit with what they did?

Back