Chestnut identification question

BMC

I just bought an older Chestnut canoe and am trying to figure out what model it is. It’s a 16’ model with an interior width of 32” and an interior depth of 12 1/4” from the inwales to the rib. The ribs are 2 3/4” with 2” spacing between them. They taper to 1 1/2” at the tops. I’m struggling to figure out if it’s an Ajax or a Moonlight or something else. Please let me know if you’ve got any insight, I’m super excited to have my first wooden canoe.
IMG_1283.jpeg
IMG_1282.jpeg
IMG_1281.jpeg

Take a look at the Wooden Canoe Museum catalogs here: https://woodencanoemuseum.org/catalogs

I have a couple of observations about dimensions re: the identification of Chestnut canoes. One, the factory was often inconsistent about the length of the center thwart, resulting in varying widths; and two, the method you use to measure width is important. Some manufacturers measured from the outside of the outwales while others measured to the outsides of the planking. If I remember correctly Chestnut actually announced in one catalog a change in the way they measured this dimension.

Apparently Chestnut would also make changes to the dimensions upon customers requests, such as a deeper version of a standard canoe. Often the Prospector series would be furnished with slat seats, though the slats were placed transversely rather than fore and aft as in your canoe. I suspect the seats in yours are a new(er) addition.

Regardless of which model, congratulations on acquiring a very nice canoe. I have two...a 15'Chum and a 15'Bobs Special, and like them very much.

Last edited:
Patrick, thanks for the link to the historic catalogs. I’ll comb through those and see if I can match anything up. The slatted seats in my canoe are definitely homemade replacements from years ago. I know the style you’re talking about in the prospectors. I also noticed that a previous owner relocated the center thwart and moved the bow seat forward. I suspect this was to create a larger center area for hauling gear. In moving the thwart, the overall width may have shifted a little over the years. I’m not sure though.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Chestnut ownership, BMC!

As Patrick has indicated, identifying models can be tricky, made more so in your case by the "modifications" of previous owners. I'm afraid it's going to be tricky trying to pin it down from the current dimensions.

There are a couple of identifying features still though. Those long heart shaped decks and that decal seem original and if so might indicate a much older Chestnut model. ( Heart Shaped decks were typically not used after 1922).
I have 3 much younger Chestnuts - a Bobs Special, Pleasure model Pal and Prospector Fort. Comparing your canoe to my Pal, your decks and much longer and narrower which leads me to wonder if this might be a Cruiser model, the 16'Kruger? I think Cruiser Models also had additional thwarts so perhaps the centre thwart was just removed....
(Btw my Pal has the original Chestnut slat seats)

Hoping that others more knowledgeable will chime in- eh, Andre? Murat, you out there? Dick Persson? Regardless, enjoy the canoe and once again, welcome to the Chestnut family!
Slat seats.jpg
Bruce

Thanks Bruce. I was able to take it out for about three hours today. To my feel, it has a fair amount of arch to the hull. My only real point of comparison is my Wenonah Spirit 2. The chestnut is much tippier. It’s also got considerably more rocker. Overall it’s a responsive, comfortable canoe to paddle. I spent a little time heeling it over to one side while paddling solo and it never really pushed back. I could have dipped the outwale under the surface without much resistance. I noticed that some models in the early catalog had an additional thwart behind the bow seat. I’m fairly sure that mine did not have three thwarts originally because the present bow thwart is occupying the space where the seat originally was. I’m convinced that someone moved the seat forward and put the center thwart directly behind it. I also weighed it and it’s tipping the scales at 89lbs!!! Ugh.

Last edited:
Look under the seats for cane holes, its common to see seats wrapped, covered, slats etc when the cane fails. Back seat has extra crossbar for some reason. You'll find cane much more comfortable than those hard slats. Middle thwart was moved forward, pretty sure the holes are visible but its later and my zoom capabilities are diminished. Cant carry or portage as it sits, would not have left the factory like this. Could be an older moonlight/ajax or cruiser, typically skinny ribs abounded after they were introduced after 1939, so its could be a thirties boat or just a later normal ribbed boat. Heart Shaped decks were typically not used after 1922 not so, they still turned up regularly including a few i've found, and some i've restored. The weight will come down if you do a full restoration and new canvas etc, but regardless they are a great handling hull for paddling and sailing, cheers

Back