Chestnut #52200?

whalen

Will canoe, and have been canoed,
A long shot..... A 16ft Chestnut canoe turned up as a gift to the Crystal River Boat Builders..

It's 16 ft long, with SN 16-52200 on the stern inside stem.

Any info ? Thanks!

Any interest in purchase (typical restoration condition...)? thanks!

Bill Whalen
Hernando FL

Chestnut serial numbers were never documented or if documented by the factory the paperwork or ledgers have long disappeared. If you can provide pictures of the craft inside and outside and description with measurements of the hull, width and depth, more than likely some one will be able to help you. The 2 most common possibilities would be, Prospector or Pal.

Jan, thanks for the reply. My memory returned and I recalled the canoe identification pages on the Dragonfly website.

Dan's wealth of knowledge allowed me to identify the canoe in question (16'x33"x12") as an Indian Maiden! Nothing definite as to the build year. She does have a mast thwart and mast step.

We -- Crystal River Boat Builders -- have decided not to use this canoe as an object of a restoration class, but rather to put it up for sale. She needs a few ribs, outer gunwales, and a few feet of planking -- canvasing too, of course.

Since we are an all volunteer and quite poor group (we raise all our funds through contributions, tee shirts, etc.) we need any money we can raise for our next build: a 1905 era powered (5hp Acadia) 24 ft mullet skiff.

Well, the Chestnut is for sale! Please send us some bids.

Bill Whalen
Hernando FL

Chestnut Indian had mahogany trim while the Chestnut Maiden had spruce trim. So which does yours have? I suppose if it is a mixture then the more abundant would indicate the model? If it is mostly spruce trim then would it be a Maiden?

Well, the decks are definitely cedar. The wales are definitely spruce. The seats are some kind of hardwood (oak/ash?). The thwarts (mast thwart (with brass trim) darker that the other three) are some kind of hardwood too -- fine grained. All will be revealed when the grim stripper arrives.....

I envy you finding a Chestnut Maiden, just like that! You are very lucky!

Last edited:
Back