Cedar supplier

Max Q

Hello. I was recently given a 1935 Old Town 17' H.W. canoe. I'm still in the process of cleaning it up, but it was neglected for a long time and is going to need a lot of work. Right now I'm counting 25 ribs that need to be replaced and about 35' of planking. My problem is that I don't know of a good source for the red and white ceder for the planking and ribs. I live in Southern California near Pasadena. Does anyone here know of a local supplier in my area where I can get this cedar? I looked through the suppliers directory on this site, but there are no listings for California.
I'd prefer to buy locally, but I am not adverse to going the mail order route. I'd appreciate any recommendations for a mail order supplier as well.
Thanks in advance,
John

Hi John,

The web site woodfinder.com is an excellent resource. Searching a Pasadena zip code gave only one relatively close shop, Cut & Dried Hardwood in Solana Beach. They apparently carry a wide variety of wood including cedars and other woods that you might need.

Phone: 858-481-0442
Fax: 858-481-2949
E-Mail: info@cutanddriedhardwood.com
Web Address: www.cutanddriedhardwood.com

Enjoy the canoe. A nicely restored 17' HW should make you happy.

Michael

You can always buy them from Old Town.

Large lumber supplier here in Michigan called Johnson's ships, and there almost certainly is a distributor out in your area somewhere. Call a couple of custom cabinet and furniture shops and ask them.

Here's a link to Johnson's price list. cool website for wood geeks.

http://www.theworkbench.com/pdf/current.pdf

Back