Cedar rib construction books/articles?

I ask the same first question : who knows anything about cedar-rib construction ?

Did they asemble all dry ribs and steamed them all at a time ? But how could they bend so much wood at a time ? or
Did they do it one at a time, bending each rib seperatly and assembling it to the next one ? But how could they join them alltogether ?

I'll try to have a look at the Dan Miller's propositions, up there.

Here are some shots of my Cedar Rib. I am doing more research. Anyone know where Peterborough took their measurements from and how? ie is the max width an inside measurement or from the outside edge of the gunwale. Wood being wood, looking at the measurements mine could be one model on a dry day and another on a wet one!

Thanks,

Nick
001_zps4b21b3fa.jpg
119_zpskslz30ue.jpg
18673246_10212661423753049_9039303494701627437_o.jpg

a year late on a reply to Ansrick, what I have been told was a cedar rib canoe, like pictured above, had all it's ribs steamed and bent on a mold, then put into a kiln to dry with some strange screw clamps on it, every so often a worker would go into the kiln and tighten the clamp making up for any shrinkage, after that process, I don't know how long, it was disassembled, and put back together on a jig, I assume the jig had the stringers on it. Anyone got a picture of the screw clamp?
Blott, mine had the serial number and the model number stamped into the coaming. Guess yours doesn't. Later years, after 1920, they went to an aluminum tag. I am no expert on any of this. Your canoe, due to some of the construction details, stem attachments, cleats and thwarts, seem to be an early made one
serial #.JPG

I am doing my research on cedar Rib Canoes for a presentation which I will give at the 2020 Assembly. I am in touch with Michael and Jeff. Has anyone got recent contact details for Jack Wagner? The more information I can get the easier it becomes to understand these enigmatic canoes.

Thanks,
Nick

Back