Carleton Serial No. 5548 16

Fitz

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
In Memoriam
Benson pulled this serial no. (5548 16) for me a few years ago or so. But it was before the Big Crash, and I think I lost a copy of the build record in a prior hard drive crash. It should be a 1910 Carleton Penobscot. Could you post the build record please.

Would it be possible to see the catalogue page too.

I am considering tackling this wreck as a winter project.

My new friend Sadie, and I were inspecting the hull today.:)

Attachments

• SadieInspection.jpg
    SadieInspection.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 175
  • TonOWork.jpg
    TonOWork.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 177
  • bow2post.jpg
    bow2post.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 171
Hi Fitz-- 5548 doesn't come up in my serial numbers-- the records are scanty in that time-period on the disk I have... maybe Benson can do better. But I can provide the images of the Carleton open gunwale canoe and some text. They don't call it the Penobscot in the 1910 catalog-- it's simply the Carleton open gunwale.

Is that your cute puppy?

Catalog images are contained on the Historic Wood Canoe and Boat Company Catalog Collection CDs available from http://www.wcha.org/catalog/ and http://www.dragonflycanoe.com/cdrom.htm on the web.

Attachments

• Carleton 1910.gif
    Carleton 1910.gif
    40.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Carleton 1910-2.gif
    Carleton 1910-2.gif
    61.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Carleton 1910-3.gif
    Carleton 1910-3.gif
    62.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Carleton 1910-4.gif
    Carleton 1910-4.gif
    55.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Carleton 1910 og.gif
    Carleton 1910 og.gif
    58.3 KB · Views: 159
Carleton before Old Town

Kathy:

Thanks for the effort, but this is a Carleton before being acquired by Old Town. It was Carleton's Penobscot model. I will see if I have a hard copy also.

Thanks,

Fitz.

I don't have a record of researching that number for you previously and like Kathy, I can't find anything in the archive now either. Sorry,

Benson

Shux

Shux:

That will teach me not to trust these infernal computers. The cats and I did find hardcopies of my first restoration just now, so maybe I will find it yet. Just a matter of stratigraphy.

My recollection is that it is a Carleton Penobscot Model, May 1910, and Benson asked if it might not return to Maine someday, and a catalogue page showing the Penobscot model was posted. The thread was however before the big crash.

The start of the thread however, probably involved a Mystery Canoe, because I did not know who the maker was at the time. The deck shape, and other features helped to ID it as a Carleton, and I recall the Penobscot model was a good fit. There is a bow carry thwart location too.

It needs a great deal of TLC, but it is mostly inwales and outwales, and most of the shape is still there, so I am hopeful.

Yes, Sadie is the new canoe puppy. She still needs to get her feet wet.:)

Fitz.

Dates

Based on the dates of some pictures I have of the canoe, I probably acquired it in February 2003.

So I probably would have posted a thread around that time wondering what it was.

I'll keep digging.

Fitz.

Back