Canvasing a closed gunwale OT

ticonderoga

"Just one more"
I have restored and canvased a number of canoes before, but I have never canvased one with closed gunwales and had sponsons. The one I am currently working on is a 1912 OT HW that originally had sponsons. In my eagerness to get started, I only took a few photos and did not get one of the way the canvas attaches to the inner gunwale. I will not be reinstalling the sponsons. I remember canvas going over the top of the rail and being tacked on the inside of the inner gunwale, but I can't remember if this was the canvas from the top of the sponson or the hull? Does the canvas go to the top of the rail, left long by a few inches to be trimmed later and finished like an open gunwale configuration, or does it attach to the inside of the inner gunwale? Any help or pics would be great, Thanks

Here are some pictures of a closed gunnel Rushton Indian. Some are bit out of focus.

You can staple the canvas to the rib top or the inwale. You trim the canvas just short of the top of the inwale so the outwale an inwale meet without a gap.

Hope that helps,

Paul

Attachments

• IMAG1380.jpg
    IMAG1380.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 267
  • IMAG1382.jpg
    IMAG1382.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 271
  • IMAG1573.jpg
    IMAG1573.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 262
  • IMAG1580.jpg
    IMAG1580.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 265
Here are some pictures of a closed gunnel Rushton Indian. Some are bit out of focus.

You can staple the canvas to the rib top or the inwale. You trim the canvas just short of the top of the inwale so the outwale an inwale meet without a gap.

Hope that helps,

Paul

Thanks Paul for the advise and pictures its just what I needed. Great looking canoe!! Joe

Back