canvas weight

John Waddington

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have recently acquired a canoe from the 1950's, approximately. The canvas was rotten and falling off, so I removed it getting ready to re-canvas. A local fabric store has #10 duck on sale today and tomorrow for half price, but only in 10 ounce rather than 15 ounce. Is 10 ounce #10 duck too light for a canoe? The cedar planking and ribs are in very good shape.

John

I think #10 and #12 duck are about 15 oz. and 11.5 oz. per square yard, respectively. Not sure what 10 oz. cloth would be on the duck scale. It sounds too light for normal use, to me.

10 oz is NOT #10. The oz and # systems of cloth weight are not the same thing. 10 oz is way too light.

So if one wanted to lay up a very light canvass restoration and try to keep the boat as light as possible...would regular 10 ounce canvass duck not work? I understand it would not be best for a river running rock bottom busting craft but what about a lake paddling craft that was going to be baby'd? I have an Indian Tecumseh that I really wanted to keep the pounds down on...thanks for any imput.

Again 10 ounce is not #10 Duck. The 2 systems cloth weight systems mean different things. I am not even sure that 10 ounce is even Duck weave. #10 Duck weave would be fine for open lakes as long as you are not ramming and grinding up on to beaches, rocks and brush. You also might consider some of the alternative light weight fillers that people expound on at times. There are a variety of fillers that are lighter than the traditional silex and paint recipes.

Back