Canvas Question

Feathers

LOVES Wooden Canoes
If you remember my earlier post, my wife and I recently purchased our first wood/canvas canoe. We have had it out on the water 4-5 times already and have been really enjoying the canoe. I have come up with another question that I could use some help with. The canoe has some "spots" on the side. I have never canvased a canoe but from reading about it I'm not sure what is causing these? They look like they're raised up ever so slightly. I've read about getting mildew between the canvas and the wood and am wondering if that's perhaps what's going on here? Anyway, any help appreciated. Is it something that should cause a recanvas sooner than later?

Thanks for any help!

Meramec.jpgMeramec-2.jpg

So I guess this isn't a common thing folks have seen before then.

It is always difficult to diagnose a finish problem especially from pictures. This doesn't look like a mildew issue to me. Occasionally water will get trapped between the filler and the paint causing the raised characteristic that you described. This usually goes away in a day or so once everything is thoroughly dry. You can see if it will sand off if you are willing to repaint the canoe. The Old Town build records indicate that finish problems were a common complaint when people refused to accept the delivery of a new canoe so people have been struggling with these issues for a long time. Someone with more experience may be able to offer a better suggestion. Good luck,

Benson

Thanks for the reply. It's an old canoe and I can forgive it it's imperfections. I just want to be sure I'm not standing by when I should be taking action of some sort. Again, appreciate your taking the time to reply.

I have a feeling that a lot of people are out on canoe trips right now and that is why there has not been as much posting as normal.

Back