Canoe Shed

robin

LOVES Wooden Canoes
My son gave me a huge amont of used 2x8"s from a roof he was doing over (up to 20 ft) and a buddy gave me some 6x6" timbers (8ft) so I spent last week framing a Canoe Shed.
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559593698sMIzFF
I'm not a carpenter, and I had to work with what lumber I had, so if there are any glaring mistakes in my pictures, well....
It's 19 ft by 9 ft, so I will have enough room to hang 4 canoes on one wall, plus room to work on a canoe on horses.
I'm going to sell those plastic canoes in the pictures, and use the money to buy lumber and build a few Chestnuts
I plan to set the shed up with my outdoor related gear, fishing, hunting, and winter camping, plus all my canoe related stuff to make a nice place to retreat to.

Hey Robin Nice work the shed should be real handy for canoes and such.
A bit of trivia for you
The word Hangard was an old voyageur word for canoe shed.The fly boys got a hold of it dropped the d and parked airplanes in it hence hangar or so Ive been told.
I need a shed or a hangard also.My carpentry skills are nil to none If I want a good laugh from my pals I just tell them to imagine me in the trades
Dan

Hi Robin,

Looking good - as anyone might guess from some of my projects, I love anything built with big sticks....

Stupid question: are you going to be able to get canoes in and out through the side entrance, or did you leave another way in and out?

Cheers,
Dan

Thanks Dan and Dan,
I can't put "Barn Doors" at the end because:
1. I need that 2x8 across the mid section to help hold it together
2. My wife has a flower bed there.

So to get the canoes in and out, I'm thinking maybe a window or top half of a "Dutch Door" with a roller on the bottom, not sure yet...

This is really interesting. I have been thinking about a UV-safe canoe cover to keep a 16 foot Otca in the back yard. It would be much better to lock it up in a shed. But the community association might crack down on me for building something to big in the back yard. Where do you get building plans for something along these lines?

Well, for me, I went with what wood I had and started planning. My son said timbers wrapped with 2x8's would work, so I used 2 Lag bolts wherever the 2x's meet the timbers.
It turned out very solid, and when I added the 1x6 pine siding, it is rock solid.

Lots of work ahead, but now that it's weather proof, I can work at a some what slower pace and enjoy...

Are there other canoe house plans?

Nice looking canoe shed. Amazing that I logged in here today to ask if any members could share thier ideas for canoe storage. I am moving to western NY and need to put something up that can hold about 6 canoes. I have a 20 foot EMW that defines the length for me.
Can you share more dimensions from the shed you built?

Does anyone else have photo's or plans to offer? I was thinking along the lines of a pole barn (not considered permanent) so that I could avoid getting dinged on my tax assesment.

Any chance you could [post a pic or 2 of it here?
I'm blocked from the site you linked.

I'm planning to build a canoe rack this summer, so I can get get a few projects out of the garage. 8 slots, 4 each side, 20 x 8 or 9.

Dan

If this works, here are a couple of pictures of the shed.

NewShed002.jpg

DSC01907.JPG

DSC01897.JPG

It's 19x9, made out of used 2"x8"s and 8' 6"x6" timbers. I put the rear middle timber on the outside to give me more inside space at the widest part of the canoes when the rack goes up.

My biggest mistake was not putting up braces on the timbers when I did the roof, the rear of the shed tilted a little and I didn't realize it till I put up the pine siding:eek:

Last edited:
Robin,
This is great. I am beating my brain to come up with a shed big enough to hold my canoes and provide enough work space, especially through the winter months.
Did you pull permits with your town? This is a concern of mine as we already have a shed in the yard and they are very picky and I don't want town inspectors coming in and noticing my un-permitted pond.
howard

Yes, my town requires plans and a permit, I just had to draw some pictures and show the inspector the location I was going to put it, which was the same place the old one was on my last assesment...then we talked Canoes, his dad had an Old Town and I just had to nod my head for 10 minutes listing to his life story "up at the lake"...;)

This weekend the roof goes on, I had my house done last fall and bought extra shingles for this shed.

Today, I stopped at a shed dealers display before he opened and checked out all his nice sheds. $4500 for a similar one but smaller, 9x12....but that included delivery. Anyway, I learned how I would make my door and how to set up my windows.

Robin,

Very nice, thanks.

As I only plan to store canoes, (any work is done in the garage/shop) I'm looking at something with a rack down the center with slots on both sides for about 4 canoe each. I plan to use metal for the roof and ends, with the sides "open", covered with a drawable "curtain" to keep our rain/snow/eyes.

Dan

Back