CANOE LOADER

Greg Nolan

enthusiast
Does anyone have any experience with this canoe loader?

1696277002223.png

1696277055518.png

1696277080491.png

1696277112728.png

I already have a trailer hitch on our Subaru. This looks like it might be quite a bit easier to use than the Yakima canoe loader that fits inside the roof rack bars.
Greg

Last edited:
My dad had something similar years ago as I recall. Seemed ok. Recently I used a strap on the end of my bars. I wrapped it around the end of the bar and then to the other bar and make a wrap and then connect the strap to the buckle and pull the cam lock tight. Then the strap will not move inward as I put the canoe against it. Then pick up the other end and load it. You start out 90 degrees to the car. It really helps if the crossbars are longer. Your Subbie may have the stock crossbars in which case the loader would be handy.

Hi Greg,

I bought this exact loader last month and it does the job pretty well. Having a small dolly like the person does in this picture makes the process much easier.

A1JgXjRkqzL.jpg

A lot of the reviewers on Amazon seemed to use it as a rear tie-down point. Even though it is surprisingly sturdy, I'd still only use it as a loader.

You may find this article interesting. https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/hitch-mount-canoe-loader/

Andrew

Thanks. and thanks for the link. I would expect to continue tying the canoe to both roof rack crossbars.

I have one, and have used it for a canoe and a heavier dinghy. It's alright, maybe more practice would help. I tried it as a rear support while driving, it rattles but didn't loosen.

I had one last year and it does work well. The issue I had was the small loading area I have at home and you need to swing out beside your vehicle to move the front of the canoe on top of the car. I also to a travel trailer and having this device attached to the hitch was a bit of a problem. I sold that loader this year and bought a rhino side loader. In the limited space I have, I find the side loader works better for me.

Back