Canoe dolly

Craig Johnson

Lifetime member
Inspired by this months article on canoe dollies I thought I would share my latest find. I saw this wheel chair in the trash and being the scavenger I am I turned around and grabbed it. All I had to do was cut off the push handles and instant canoe dolly. Usually it is no problem moving a canoe around while working on it but this Double Ender is awkward and quite a bit heavier so the dolly comes in handy. 4 wheels so if you balance it it stays horizontal. Padded armrests for canoe to sit on. Caster wheels so it pivots like a 2 wheeler. Solid rubber tires so no constantly adding air, and locking breaks so it doesn't roll away. Not a bad height to work on too. When not in use it folds up for storage. I wouldn't want to use it to portage but it's great around the shop.

Attachments

• IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1010.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 295
The picture of the wheel chair under your boat made me chuckle. Given the fact that we all work on basket case, broken down, worn out, rotten old boats having a wheel chair holding one up seem entirely appropriate. I might suggest an intravenous bottle pole holder that could be re-purposed to hold a work light or something. It's perfect!!

Nice boat, by the way.

JCC

Back