Canadian Canoe Co. Thwart End Badges

Bradford Wyman

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Does anyone know if Canadian Canoe Co. thwart end badges are available somewhere? There is one missing on the canoe I am refinishing.

Here's a picture...

Thank you,

Brad

Attachments

• IMG_1728.jpg
    IMG_1728.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 512
I don't know if the badges are available, but if you can not find them you could probably take the existing one to a trophy shop and have a replica made for very little money.

Brad. I did just that and all was well. Make sure everything will match ...eg. metal thickness/type, edge and surface finish, everything about the lettering including placement on the badge. If you will have it plated to match, pay whatever it takes to give the same finish and material , presumably nickel. Make sure the fastening into the thwart is the same. If you must file down the OD of the heads to add height to the head ( sort to speak ) spin them in a drill....easy. Maybe they are nickel plated as well...go for it. I had one Strickland badge done and I don't know now which one it is.
( oh, and if it looks too new...you know what to do before and after plating ) I think in another business they call it " distressed "
I know...very fussy pants here. Have fun

Hmmm...I hadn't thought of plating the badges. Now I've got to decide if that's what I want. I polished one up with the wire wheel on my buffer and kinda like to looks of the brass. I would hardly call the re-finishing work I'm doing a restoration, but if I decide authenticity is important I should probably go for the nickle. Just need to find a small-batch operation to do it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Good idea about the screw heads, some of which are not original. Hope I can find some with slotted instead of phillips heads.

Back