Canadian Canoe 15490 44

KAT

LOVES Wooden Canoes
So, the experts have determined this to be a pre-WW2 Canadian Canoe Company craft, which makes it our oldest boat yet. Too cool.

It had been fibreglassed and the guy we bought it from had stripped most of it, I just get to tackle the remnant resin and stuff he didn't finish with. The boat is in far better shape than the Chestnut, needing only 3 ribs replaced, inwale tips and decks, some rib tips and planking but it will require most of the stems done as there is a great deal of splitting and I doubt they can be repaired. Basically I'll be having to scarf in from where the curve begins on the bottom, which I think is better than replacing the entire stem at each end.

This is supposed to be our winter project but I did need to get some work started, like stripping the old finish. It had been stained on the interior and the first application of remover took that off, the second took off most of the varnish. It would appear the stain seeped through the old cracked varnish and stained the ribs in interesting patterns but I'm hoping sanding will take care of most of that.

It looks to be red cedar planking, or I've just failed miserably at removing the old finish.

The nifty plywood seats I will replace with something more period and perhaps will have to take my first stab at caning. That will certainly try my patience. It has never had a keel so won't be getting one and the sail rig that came with it will likely just be sold since we have no need for a sailing canoe.

Anywho, not much will get done on this in the coming months, the Chestnut is pretty much ready for canvas so it has priority.

Attachments

• CCC .001.jpg
    CCC .001.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 270
  • CCC bow stem.jpg
    CCC bow stem.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 266
  • CCC busted ribs 1.jpg
    CCC busted ribs 1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 262
  • CCC stripped.jpg
    CCC stripped.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 261
Wow, this thread was buried deep.

Took this long to get her done, but another canoe rescued from the evils of fibreglass. Now we just need ice out to go paddle her.

Attachments

• Finished 1.jpg
    Finished 1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 254
  • Finished 2.jpg
    Finished 2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 241
  • Finished 3.jpg
    Finished 3.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 250
  • Finished 5.jpg
    Finished 5.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 256
  • Finished 6.jpg
    Finished 6.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 249
Oh my, what a beautiful canoe! You did a great job. And that color is very nice! You'll be turning a lot of heads when you are out in public with this lovely old girl!

Kathy

Back