Can a decal be removed & reused?

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
I recently picked up a PenYann Owasco. She needs to have the decks replaced to make right a salvage job someone did at one time. But I'd like to salvage the PenYann decal - see pic. It's covered with (I believe) varnish. Anyone ever try (and succeed at) salvaging a decal?... and can tell me how to go about it? Thanks! O... and happy new year everybody!

100_3170.jpg

I've not tried this, but you might consider very gently scraping as much of the old varnish off the decal as possible without scraping the surface of the decal itself, cut out the portion of the deck with the decal on it, thin that piece of wood, and inlay it into the new deck. Would be easier to buy a new decal, but "original equipment" is always nice to preserve.

Thanks guys... Not sure what I'll do... Guess I'll try & remove the old varnish & see what happens. I was hoping someone would say that the decals were put atop a coat of shellac - in which case maybe just some alcohol might loosen it.

Howie,

I advise you to keep alcohol away from decals , old or new. I know that it will destroy the new decals. Don't ask me how I know that!! It is quite possible it might also destroy the old decals. Mechanical varnish/shellac removal seems best approach although I cannot imagine getting any varnish or shellac scraped off an old, original decal without destroying or damaging it.

Back