Calling all sleuths.... mystery canoe in the shop.

patrick corry

solo canoeist
tempImageHPWxHw.png
tempImageB633cK.png
tempImage6Xu0Sl.png

tempImageYXxwt8.png
tempImageQmIbyp.png
tempImage2raoHo.png
tempImage5FnAzM.png
On a recent return trip from VT, I was able to make a slight detour from my usual return route and pick up a canoe in Wappingers Falls, NY. The previous owner had acquired the canoe from an elderly neighbor and told me he was aware of the canoe from his early youth. He shared some pictures he got from the son of the woman showing her grandmother paddling the canoe in New Rochelle, NY in 1926, and another with the grandmother's grandsons 24 years later on Wildwood Lake, Long Island, NY.

The canoe is 18' long x 32" at the sheer planking (gunwales are off), by 13" deep at center. Both stems have the numbers 18 561 stamped in a very plain font. The stems end abruptly at the rib rather than half-lapped onto a rib as I have usually seen. Standard planks are 2 3/4" wide, but 6" at the sheer. Thwarts, inwales, and decks appear to be mahogany. The deck radius has fastener holes, and the ends of the inwales are relieved to receive coamings. The profile of the outwales is interesting; they are elliptical in shape with a relieved portion on the back side. No seats survived the years. Typical trapezoidal keel, fastened every other rib, transitioning to outside stems.

tempImage2ZeGNQ.png
tempImageKwVnuY.png

Attachments

• tempImagePaKmZb.png
    tempImagePaKmZb.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
You might have a Rushton Indian Girl. Look for a brand on the upper face of the thwarts and stems.

Thanks Dan. I haven't discerned anything on the thwarts yet, though lighting isn't good in my barn. Where on the stems might I find a brand? I have seen some pictures of Rushton markings on stem bands here on the site.

Even if you don't find the markings, the wide stem is characteristic.
The stem markings should be within about six inches of the serial number. Sometimes they are very lightly stamped. A pencil rubbing might be necessary to get them to stand out.
You have not shown how the (missing) seats were mounted. Does your canoe have cleats in place for them?

My Rushton has the same stem end at the rib, similar simple numbers and no other markings apart from the 'Rushton' on the stem band.

Attachments

• DSC04559.JPG
    DSC04559.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20200826_190900.jpg
    IMG_20200826_190900.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 52
Too funny. For some reason that screw breaking through near the end of the stem is also very typical for these. The ones I have owned have had that as a trait.

MGC asked about stern seat cleats. I have found them, and identified to which side of the canoe they belong based on the mounting screw locations. As well, I found the bow seat frame- heavily disguised by added reinforcement pieces, and the cross pieces. Now that I have the dimensions of the seat frame I can see that they conform to the "shadow" locations on the upper side of the cleats to which they were fastened. The "shadow" is the area that didn't get varnish (or UV degradation) over the years. Having now identified the bow seat location I therefore know which end of the canoe is the bow. I had been viewing that end as the stern, so now I at least know which end is which! The stern seat appears to have been inwale-mounted based on the bolt holes present.

Bow seat cleats:
tempImage6kZiVu.png
tempImagemPBG5s.png

Cleats in position, starboard:
tempImage0IyD61.png

Port:
tempImage0rMN7o.png

Seat frame:
tempImageTvFVXc.png

Seat mounting locations outboard:
tempImageEmzQOJ.png
tempImageW9fMJe.png

You need to spend some time just getting to know a "new" canoe in the shop....

I have yet to find any identifying stamps, but I have identified a few bits and pieces that were in a cardboard box the previous owner kept.

Confusing matters, in the box there were 4 Old Town diamond head bow seat bolts and spacers- presumably from another wood canvas canoe the guy scavenged in his neighborhood. He saved two old seats, bow and stern decks complete with only the second Abercrombie and Fitch medallion I have ever seen:

tempImagens0WUg.png

tempImageFAh7tT.png

There's also a small section of stem (the foot end) from that Old Town canoe with a serial number visible, but not legible... yet. So, at least at some point I'll request a build record for that canoe.

Attachments

• tempImageNRMGzc.png
    tempImageNRMGzc.png
    2 MB · Views: 27
Odd looking cleats...It's funny, these all tend to have a very similar appearance. I haven't been really good about taking pictures of the boats I've worked on, but here are a couple that I think have the expected appearance.
1721519838379.jpeg

1721519909406.jpeg

Do you see any evidence of an oval decal on the bow deck?
Is there anything left of the coamings?
Do you have the stem bands and if so, are they marked?

Home from Assembly, and looking at the photos again, I notice it looks like it was built as an open gunwale canoe. If that is the case, it is more likely a St. Lawrence Boat Works canoe. Rushtons in the 500s serial number range would all be closed gunwale. Open gunwale Indian Girls appear around sn 5000.

This would also explain the lack of JHR stamps.

No markings of any kind on the decks, or holes from deck plates, etc. I have one very short piece of coaming left:
tempImagekoaPTr.png

Stem bands are not marked. The stem bands terminate in a very conventional, bevelled manner- no rounding or shaping to a point.

Dan, yes it's an open gunwale canoe. I see no evidence (nail holes) of a rail cap having been fastened. The attached deck photo from your site seems to be a perfect match for my decks, and I also see the coaming in place with the same relieved inwale to receive the coaming ends. In your deck picture there seems to be a makers plate in the center of the vertical face of the coaming. It's hard to make out, but now I will have to look at the deck radii to see if there are corresponding nail holes from a plate.

Thanks all for your interest. If there are any new insights to the possible identification as a St. Lawrence Boatworks canoe, please add your thoughts.

I'm lined up with Dan. That is exactly what I was thinking.
The SLBC tag on a Whistle Wing would have either been mounted on the deck, or the coaming. Hence the coaming question. The WW also could have/would have had an oval decal on the deck, so look for that.
The SLBC tag seems to have been located on either the coaming or the top of the deck. I hope to eventually understand if there is any significance.
An SLBC would not have had markings on the stem bands, although I would expect the ends to be somewhat shaped. If they were replaced, whoever did the work might not have taken the time to do that.
A couple more things that might point to WW. Are the rails mahogany? What about that seat frame or the thwart?
My WW does not have serial numbers on the stems, but it does have those great big mahogany decks.
I am attaching an image of what is probably a stable mate to your canoe. I can provide dimensions for seats, coamings and things when you are ready for them.
1721587801007.jpeg

Also, for your consideration, a tag mounted on the coaming. I don't recall whose canoe this is from. My collection of pictures needs better organization. I think it's from Jody? His canoe is the most intact of those I am aware of.
1721605099335.jpeg

Last edited:
My tiny segment of coaming does not have holes from the small escutcheon pins used to mount the nameplate on the coaming. The segment fits in the position of the lower deck (stern) shown in this picture. The bow deck does have two tiny holes that line up with the upper corners of a nameplate if one like MGC's picture was mounted (see arrows). Presumably the two lower pins pierced only the coaming. Interestingly, the previous owner had pencilled in "stern deck" on the upper surface, but I'm pretty sure it's the bow.

777DE74B-9C86-4EE5-8800-27C60FBE2BD7_1_201_a.jpeg

I guess we have arrived at a final identification. Please chime in with additional comments if so moved.

I haven't made up my mind yet about restoring this canoe. I have another project in progress that takes precedence. If anyone reading this has a burning desire to own and restore this canoe, please contact me. I would be willing to part with the canoe for the right restorer, and would assist with delivery in the mid Atlantic states or New England if it's within my general area between PA and VT (Maine is a bit out of my normal area, but we could meet halfway).

Thanks to all for illuminating the origin of this canoe. If anyone else has input, it will be welcome.

I think my intention is to put this canoe aside for future restoration, and considering it's relative rarity, consider carefully how I might go about the work when not distracted by other projects in queue. I am still open to other qualified restorers interest should you wish to contact me.

Reactions: MGC
Back