Building the Paper Tcîmânens

HarryA

woodwrecker
For all of you fans of paper canoes I have one in the works.

As you folks are familiar with canoe construction you may
wish to start with the Pictorial Summary (from the lower left
menu) rather then go through all the gory details.

Disclaimer: Neither the WCHA nor I are to be held responsible
for an adverse psychological problems traditional canoe builders
may suffer on viewing these pages :rolleyes:

see: http://bobbear.netfirms.com/pcanoe/index.htm

Last edited:
Neat. I'm guessing the eleven layers of paper pretty well makes the paper pretty strong.

But I'm curious about how the paper reacts when the ribs are forced into place. Does it stretch properly without splitting at the stitches? And what's the weight of the paper after all that glue?

Last edited:
paper canoe

In regard to the paper. I have 13.pounds and 6 ounces for the weight of the paper used. The completed sheet, including glue, weighed 16.5 pounds. The 13+ pounds maybe on the high side.

In regard to ribs. In birch bark canoes the sheathing and ribs give the hull form and structural integrity so the ribs need to be placed firmly. In the paper canoe the paper is quite rigid so the sheathing and ribs are not as important. I feel I could take this canoe out and paddle it on a lake without any sheathing or ribs. On a tandem you would get hogging or oil canning in the center. Also the paper is stronger then one may at first think. It is more like thin Masonite than paper at that thickness. There are no seams in the paper.

If I were building a paper canoe per se I would build it in the form of a Dogrib canoe; just a few ribs and strapping for sheathing . Dog rib or Do grib ?

Attachments

• dogrib.gif
    dogrib.gif
    36.5 KB · Views: 629
One from plywood

A canoeist from Belgium sent me a url to a site that
has a bark like canoe made from plywood. Very nice
looking canoe. A sheet of plywood is much easier to
come by than a sheet of paper!

I take the dimensions to be:
280 kg 617.3 pounds boot capacity?
4.4 m 14.4 feet boot length
0.85 cm 02.79 feet boot width
0.36 cm 01.18 feet boot depth
30 - 33 kg 66.4 - 72.75 pounds boot weight
someone who knows German could correct me here :confused:

see:
http://www.open-canoe-journal.de/journal-05/wagnercanoe/wagnercanoe.htm

His web site translated by Google is...
A picture report on the construction of an Indian construction in Canadiers

The sculptor Hans-Georg Wagner from Cottbus is building for years Canoes in the original design of the North American Indians. Instead of the non-existent here birch bark he uses boat building perrholz. These boats are not only absolutely authentic, but have also considerably more practicality, when these jewels at first glance would trust. The construction of such a boat is about 10 to 14 days for a 10 hour work day.

Built as a replica de Tetes Boul 21 / 2 Fathom, a canoe from the St. Maurice River in Canada. This boat is a versatile allround Canoe and contributes approximately up to 280 kg payload. The 4.40-metre-long boat is 85 cm wide, the board wall height is 36 cm, the weight is about 30 - 33 kg.

For larger view please click on the pictures, this open in a new window.

BELOW THE PICTURES

Who is closer to the construction or such a boat interested can apply for additional information with Hans-Georg Wagner in Cottbus in touch. There is also the possibility, in a workshop under the expert guidance of his own boat to build. The costs for this are at 1,500, - € course fee plus about 600 - € for the material. For more information visit www.wood-and-art.de
Ain't technology neat!

MikeCav said:
His web site translated by Google is...
A picture report on the construction of an Indian construction in Canadiers

The sculptor Hans-Georg Wagner from Cottbus is building for years Canoes in the original design of the North American Indians. Instead of the non-existent here birch bark he uses boat building perrholz. These boats are not only absolutely authentic, but have also considerably more practicality, when these jewels at first glance would trust. The construction of such a boat is about 10 to 14 days for a 10 hour work day.

Built as a replica de Tetes Boul 21 / 2 Fathom, a canoe from the St. Maurice River in Canada. This boat is a versatile allround Canoe and contributes approximately up to 280 kg payload. The 4.40-metre-long boat is 85 cm wide, the board wall height is 36 cm, the weight is about 30 - 33 kg.

For larger view please click on the pictures, this open in a new window.

BELOW THE PICTURES

Who is closer to the construction or such a boat interested can apply for additional information with Hans-Georg Wagner in Cottbus in touch. There is also the possibility, in a workshop under the expert guidance of his own boat to build. The costs for this are at 1,500, - € course fee plus about 600 - € for the material. For more information visit www.wood-and-art.de
Ain't technology neat!

You gotta love the "kanu ballett":cool:

Back