Building a rudder and need some advice

ColinRowntree

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi all,
I am gong to build a rudder for my 1936 OT Yankee. Just got off the phone with Bob at Springield Centerbioard and he is selling me the pintles and gudgeons.

As i do a lot of shallow water travel over rock bottoms on local rivers here, i need to make a kickup rudder. I found pretty much exactly what I want on a thread here but with little detals as to width of the rudder stock, need for feathering, etc.

Here are the two photos on that thread, with the onlly details being:
"Here are pictures of the OT rudder which I altered to kick-up. I cut the side cheeks out of sheet brass, which I found I could cut on a wood-cutting band saw. The rudder has both pull-up and haul-down lines."

Anyone have any advice on this project? I'm doing it from scratch with no plans or template. Just me, a bandsaw, lots of hand tools and an enthusiastic outlook!

Thanks!
Colin

Attachments

• OT Kick up 1.jpg
    OT Kick up 1.jpg
    628.9 KB · Views: 33
  • OT kickup 2.jpg
    OT kickup 2.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 37
See the links below for some more ideas.

Benson

See the links below for some more ideas.

Benson

Thank you Benson.
Anyone else reading this thread have any tips to add? All aspects are fair game and very mich apprecitated!

On the forward edge/bottom of the rudder if you make it the correct width so that a piece of stem band can be bent and fitted. It makes great protection from rocks.

The factory would also add stem bands to the edge of a rudder occasionally as shown in the link below.

Benson

The factory would also add stem bands to the edge of a rudder occasionally as shown in the link below.

Benson

Thanks Benson. And the bonus was the photos, with a little fussing aroiund in photoshop, gave me the dimernsions of the rudder which i was pretty vague on. Des this look like abiout the right dimensions, and also, is this an early OT rudder design that would be historically appropriate on my 1932 Yankee 16 footer?

Also. Is Mahogany a good choice of wood for the rudder and yoke at the top of it?

You are such a lifesend here on these thngs. Thanks so much!

Attachments

• OT-no-kickup-original-with-measurement2.jpg
    OT-no-kickup-original-with-measurement2.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 23
Years ago I built a rudder for an Old town canoe. Because canoes are usually beached, it had a kick-up ridder so that the stem would not be stressed when the canoe was on shore. The kick-up part was aluminum simply because it would be easy to engage upon re-entry into the water. The design was very similar to a one piece wooden rudder.

Does this look like about the right dimensions, and also, is this an early OT rudder design that would be historically appropriate on my 1932 Yankee 16 footer?

Also. Is Mahogany a good choice of wood for the rudder and yoke at the top of it?

The 1932 catalog page shown at https://forums.wcha.org/attachments/6729/ has a very shallow rudder which may not extend much beyond the keel. The rudder with the bang plate is from a 1936 Otca. The other rudder is from a 1958 Otca. The link below has more details about both canoes. Both of these rudders and yokes are made from mahogany. They have provided fine service for many years.

Benson

The 1932 catalog page shown at https://forums.wcha.org/attachments/6729/ has a very shallow rudder which may not extend much beyond the keel. The rudder with the bang plate is from a 1936 Otca. The other rudder is from a 1958 Otca. The link below has more details about both canoes. Both of these rudders and yokes are made from mahogany. They have provided fine service for many years.

Benson

That's exacty what i needed, Benson. Thanks so much.
Now, time to open photoshop and start extraplolating the dimensions of the rudder based on the canoe in this photo you linked to.
Many happy hours of confusion with a calculator and math await! (unless of course, someone happens to have the rudder dimensions kicking around and cares to share them here :)

Attachments

• 1936-OT-saling-rudder-rig.jpg
    1936-OT-saling-rudder-rig.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 24
unless of course, someone happens to have the rudder dimensions kicking around
The rudder on the far left in the image below may help. It is 26 by 13.5 inches (extreme) and came from a 1927 canoe. The link below has more about this canoe. Let me know if you want another picture with a ruler or anything else.

Benson

Rudders5.jpg

The rudder on the far left in the image below may help. It is 26 by 13.5 inches (extreme) and came from a 1927 canoe. The link below has more about this canoe. Let me know if you want another picture with a ruler or anything else.

Benson

View attachment 56479
That's exactly what I needed for lofting before doing the cutting.
Thanks!
Colin

Looks like I've got the rudder figured out, Bob at Springfield Centerboard Company sent me the pintles and gudgeons along with a pattern and instructions for installing the stern mounted rudder with a yoke on top that attaches to ropes to go forward for steering.

My question now is, what is the best way to steer it? I've seen some with foot pedals or stirrups and others with hand free held hand grips dowels, but both of these seem a bit awkward, especially once fit it with a sailing rig.

Here is one intriguing design i spotted on Pinterest, but curious if anyone has seen anything like this and how well they perform.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

tiller.jpg

Last edited:
There are lots of options. I use a simple loop with two pullies as shown in the link below. This makes it easy to find regardless of where you are sitting or how many people are in the canoe. Good luck,

Benson

I've used a simple line with pulleys on the thwart, or tied to the inwale. If you size the line and blocks so that there's a little friction, you don't have to keep a hand on it at all times. You can learn to steer with either hand pretty quickly.

Back