Build Record Please- Old Town?

I just acquired this old wood-and-canvas. I looks like an Old Town to me but the serial numbers don't match what I've seen for other Old Towns. It is 8755 1452. I would love to know more about this boat. Steve

Attachments

• 20230526_173003.jpg
    20230526_173003.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230526_173042.jpg
    20230526_173042.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230526_173734.jpg
    20230526_173734.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 59
I'd go with Chestnut, but I've been wrong before. There are no records for Chestnut canoes. Giving length depth and width will help to ID it.
Sam

Sam, thanks for your response. The boat is 16' long, 31" wide, and 11" deep at the fore thwart. Around 13" deep at the seat, which you can see is slotted wood. The dimensions could suggest a Chestnut but there is no C in front of the serial numbers and the deck plates are not heart-shaped. However, they may not be the original deck plates. You can see, there is a substantial keel and curved aluminum stock fore and aft to protect the edge.
Steve

My Chestnut playmate has identical decks as well as the wide cant ribs (those nearest the stems). Is there any trace of a decal?

My guess is that you may have a Peterborough model number 1452. The page at the first link below describes it as a Canvas Prospector named River that was made between 1941 and 1956. These are often described as 'Peternuts' since many of them were made by Chestnut for Peterborough. Page 27 of the catalog at the second link below has more details. There are no known build records available for these so more information may not be available.

Benson

I'm sure you nailed it. Everything fits for that model 1452. My measurements don't exactly jive with the catalog but I bet that's my naivete in properly measuring it (inside vs. outside, etc.). Even the color-- flat gray. It appears this has the original paint on the canvas. The photo implies caned seats but this has wooden slats-- probably not original but in good condition. Thanks so much for your help. You guys know your stuff. Interesting forum! Now I have to see if a local guy is still repairing canoes so I can hire him to re-canvas this beauty or if I go to YouTube and try to do it myself. Everything about this boat seems in good condition except the canvas. It's been so long since I've paddled a boat like this!

Back